Discuss Tiling on a suspended floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Scottey, better late than never!
The void is about 60-70cm off the ground only. What is considered adequate?

TJ - there are no cracks in the tiles. In many places, the grout has cracked or seem to be stuck to one side only. I DON'T ' think the grout (Mapei utracolor plus) was a flexible one so this is expected given flexing in the floor. In some area its whole groups of tiles together - in others 120-180cms width.

Looking at some pictures, it seems to me the tiles that have lifted the most have been where two sheets of plys meet. It seems to affect the whole row of tile. Tiles adjacent to these are less affected.

Thanks
Sukie
Ultracolor Plus is a highly flexible grout.:thumbsup:

S

Sukie666

Guss & grumpygrouter thanks!

Guys, if my builder has public liability insurance (which he said he does), would my case be covered? Having heard all your advice, it really does seem that there is no easy way around this and will need to start from scratch. The tiling job was part of the kitchen renovation project but the UFH was done by a separate firm. To do it properly would mean redoing everything. Would the insurance cover the UFH replacement etc or just the tiling? Sorry - I am really quite clueless on these matters. I just want some ammo before I speak to the builder (if he picks up my calls) about this. How would I kick start this process as well?

Any advice & thoughts would be most appreciated.

many thanks
Sukie

D

diamondtiling

Guss & grumpygrouter thanks!

Guys, if my builder has public liability insurance (which he said he does), would my case be covered? Having heard all your advice, it really does seem that there is no easy way around this and will need to start from scratch. The tiling job was part of the kitchen renovation project but the UFH was done by a separate firm. To do it properly would mean redoing everything. Would the insurance cover the UFH replacement etc or just the tiling? Sorry - I am really quite clueless on these matters. I just want some ammo before I speak to the builder (if he picks up my calls) about this. How would I kick start this process as well?

Any advice & thoughts would be most appreciated.

many thanks
Sukie

I am not sure if admin can publish Pm's Sukie but it would help if our conversations were made available, you have gone into great detail whilst talking with me, If the forum could read these then I am sure they would comment correctly.

:thumbsup:

S

Sukie666

I don't have any contacts yet, but to be honest I was rather put off when I heard it would cost around £1200. I understand that the report would help with any claims (in court I guess) against the builder. However, I'm hoping it won't come to that. I have found a tiler from the Tile Association site who was quite helpful. If he is willing, I will probably get him in when the tiles are to be lifted by the builder and let him assess and advice on the remedy then. I want the builders to do the work because it shouldn't cost me, but for him to oversee it which hopefully won't be too expensive. Does that sound reasonable?

many thanks
Sukie

D

doug boardley

Mike - I would love to do that. If only I knew how to get them to cough up. Getting them to pick up my calls is hard enough. What do builders fear most? How do I get them to take this seriously? I know there are load of sites for recommending builders/tradesmen - what about those that warn against them?

thanks
Sukie
try calling from somebody else's phone Sukie, the builder probably has caller ID and ignores it when your number appears on his screen:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

A good tradesman doesnt need to pay £45 a quarter and £20 a lead to get work. the bulders you need generate their own leads through word of mouth and come personally reccomended

this is the route you need to take, if you look through the albums here you will see examples of tilers work and know what you can expect from them

what do builders fear most ? legal action, court judgements against them make life difficult as a lot of people do a credit check and court search before doing business with someone, if they get too many actions against them trading standards can have them prosecuted and prevented from trading

D

Deleted member 9966

Sukie

If the builders are not responding to your calls, try one last time from another number or payphone if you have to. If they still won't talk to you about the problems you're now left with following their installations, then go and see a solicitor and start legal proceedings. If they receive a solicitors letter warning that further action may be taken against them if they don't sort it out, it might just be enough to get them to sort it out.

There are several members on here in the London area who will be able to come round and assess the work that has been done in order to get an independent report done. You'll need it if you go down the legal route anyway.

No more dilly dallying. Time is of the essence and you need to crack on. Start keeping a diary of all the times you've called them, conversations you've managed to have etc. it should help you and your solicitor keep track of what has been discussed so far.

It's not nice to have to do this, but your kitchen needs to be an acceptable standard to live in, and right now, it's not.

Hope this helps
Liz

Reply to Tiling on a suspended floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling on a suspended floor
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.