UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling on a suspended floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sukie666

I don't have any contacts yet, but to be honest I was rather put off when I heard it would cost around £1200. I understand that the report would help with any claims (in court I guess) against the builder. However, I'm hoping it won't come to that. I have found a tiler from the Tile Association site who was quite helpful. If he is willing, I will probably get him in when the tiles are to be lifted by the builder and let him assess and advice on the remedy then. I want the builders to do the work because it shouldn't cost me, but for him to oversee it which hopefully won't be too expensive. Does that sound reasonable?

many thanks
Sukie

D

doug boardley

Mike - I would love to do that. If only I knew how to get them to cough up. Getting them to pick up my calls is hard enough. What do builders fear most? How do I get them to take this seriously? I know there are load of sites for recommending builders/tradesmen - what about those that warn against them?

thanks
Sukie
try calling from somebody else's phone Sukie, the builder probably has caller ID and ignores it when your number appears on his screen:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

A good tradesman doesnt need to pay £45 a quarter and £20 a lead to get work. the bulders you need generate their own leads through word of mouth and come personally reccomended

this is the route you need to take, if you look through the albums here you will see examples of tilers work and know what you can expect from them

what do builders fear most ? legal action, court judgements against them make life difficult as a lot of people do a credit check and court search before doing business with someone, if they get too many actions against them trading standards can have them prosecuted and prevented from trading

D

Deleted member 9966

Sukie

If the builders are not responding to your calls, try one last time from another number or payphone if you have to. If they still won't talk to you about the problems you're now left with following their installations, then go and see a solicitor and start legal proceedings. If they receive a solicitors letter warning that further action may be taken against them if they don't sort it out, it might just be enough to get them to sort it out.

There are several members on here in the London area who will be able to come round and assess the work that has been done in order to get an independent report done. You'll need it if you go down the legal route anyway.

No more dilly dallying. Time is of the essence and you need to crack on. Start keeping a diary of all the times you've called them, conversations you've managed to have etc. it should help you and your solicitor keep track of what has been discussed so far.

It's not nice to have to do this, but your kitchen needs to be an acceptable standard to live in, and right now, it's not.

Hope this helps
Liz

S

Sukie666

All,
Thank you very much for your advice. It's reassuring to know that there is help out there to get through this nightmare. We have agreed for our next review of the situation to be on the 2nd Aug. I will get a pro/one of your member in as well and update the forum.

Here are some pics extracted from video clips. They don't really show the gravity of the problem but it gives you an idea. The white adhesive is the original. The grey is their first attempt to fix 2 two tiles back in April. And yes, I could remove the adhesive just by pushing it with my fingers - no tools required.

Sukie.

Attachments

• Still 6.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Still 5.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Still 4.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Still 3.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 66
  • Still 1.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Still 2.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 67
O

Olz

Sukie, after seeing those it really is time for a reality check,

That is absolutley terrible, not only has he dot and dabbed which is a massive no no, put PVA, loads of deflection in the floor, dispersion addy, If ever there was a need for a shaking head face palm smily this would be it.

Sukie,

Take even more photo's get all the paper work he has given you together and start putting it in date order in a folder, find someone on here to give you an independant report.

Write to the builder TODAY, clearly stating your not happy with the work, it needs ripping up, units, ufh tiles, ply (with PVA), the lot, and doing again properly at HIS cost.

Send the letter recorded delivery, keep a copy and keep any reponse, which you want in writing.

If he ignores you or refuses to do it all - In its entirety at his own expense and in a timley maner, issue small claims proceedings at court, i will tell you everything you need to know about court proceedings if it comes to this.

For know, the most important things are, loads of photos, and get everything in writing.

Its much more than a case of swapping a few tiles and refixing im afraid. I know its now what you want to hear, and your hoping for an alternative solution, but from what you've said, and whats in the photos you need, no deserve for it to be redone, properly.

Oli

M

mikethetile

Sukie

dont leave this till august, take the upper hand now

there is absolutly nothing right about this job and it needs ripping back to joists and doing again

your builder has no defence whatsoever with this

having seen the standard of fixing I wouldnt be surprised to learn that the boards were only 12mm instead of 18mm

he has made you suffer enough. time to get this straightened out

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling on a suspended floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.