UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling on a suspended floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikethetile

Mike, thanks - i'll look into it. Will probably go with the retiling still as most of the tiles will be reuable and I like them. Have to see how we can best do this and if the builder will actually come back.

Dave - could you please recommend someone in the SW London area to do an inspection?

Many thanks
Sukie
very wise Sukie

im pleased your still thinking of tiles, the other options are ok but its not what you wanted and no where near as hardwearing in a kitchen as tiles

S

Sukie666

Doug, when they fixed a row of 8 tiles last month we only lost one tile - the one they had to crack. With the rest, the adhesive did NOT stick to the back of the tiles. No cleaning was required. The adhesive bearly stuck to the plywood either. I just used my hand to gently push it and it came unstuck. No tools required. I captured this on my phone if you would like a look. Did the adhesive dry too fast? We only gave it about a week before the ufh was turned on. The builders told me a couple of day was sufficient. I now know it should have been at least two weeks.

D

DHTiling

Mike, thanks - i'll look into it. Will probably go with the retiling still as most of the tiles will be reuable and I like them. Have to see how we can best do this and if the builder will actually come back.

Dave - could you please recommend someone in the SW London area to do an inspection?

Many thanks
Sukie

Sorry just seen this.. will ask someone in your area to contact you.

T

Time's Ran Out

Without seeing the results of the tiles that were refixed by your builder I would have to question the total load on your suspended floor. A central island with a large weight of worktop will have a considerable effect on the deflection issue. Did your builder or kitchen company supply you with the relevant weight and required support figures and was a structural surveyor consulted.
Although you certainly have a issue with the method of fixing and preparation for the tiling, retiling with additional support may not be a satisfactory answer to another problem.

S

Sukie666

Hi John, the kitchen company did not supply any calculations. I don't remember if they ask about the floor at all. They are a reputable company and delivered Imo a very good level of service so I have never questioned this. The builder who did the flooring was also used for removing a supporting wall to open up the kitchen into the dinning room. The island is basically where the supporting wall was before. A structural engineer did the calculation for the steel beam only. I wasn't aware nor informed by the builder that additional calculations were required. The builder also fitted the kitchen units.
What do you suggest I do now?
Thanks

S

Scott

Just read this from start to finish and must have missed this thread!

Dom, i think Russ is refering to using the PVA between the sheets of ply and not on the top

Sukie, if the joists are supported on brick piers under the floor and there is still vertical deflection then it may be possible to add in additional support between the piers and the joists to pack them up. Is there a large void under the floor? Typically houses of these era did have large voids so tt may be possible to access the underside of the floor from a different room? The noggins could also be added in this way.

TimelessJohns comments are valid point but there isnt a set requirement for any calculations for building regs for this, so no one has missed anything out. TJ is very good at seeing things from a different angle to a lot of us and when you think about it, it makes sense for it to have been taken into account. Although with a largge weight in the midle of the floor this should have cured some of the deflection to a certain degree. Sadly what that degree is i dont know

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Re reading the facts as printed it would seem as though the tiles have not stuck to the plywood. It could be due to the pva adhesive,the adhesive type, dust on floor/back of tile and certainly the dot and dab method of fixing. If it is only 18mm plywood fixed direct to the joists and tiled direct to this - as previously stated - a deflection issue may be the cause. Is there any cracks appearing at 120cm widths or just loose tiles and is the grout cracking out of the joints?
My earlier post was just concerned that the weight of the new kitchen/worktops had increased the movement in the floor and has the area of supported wall removal been adequately reinforced to hold the central island.
Following Daves advice I would certainly request a site visit by an experienced tiling contractor and he /she may be able to confirm some of the issues you may face.
Your builder -the main contractor- is the person with the answers so I'd ask him if he is a member of a Building Federation so you may be able to ask their advice:smilewinkgrin:

S

Sukie666

Scottey, better late than never!
The void is about 60-70cm off the ground only. What is considered adequate?

TJ - there are no cracks in the tiles. In many places, the grout has cracked or seem to be stuck to one side only. I DON'T ' think the grout (Mapei utracolor plus) was a flexible one so this is expected given flexing in the floor. In some area its whole groups of tiles together - in others 120-180cms width.

Looking at some pictures, it seems to me the tiles that have lifted the most have been where two sheets of plys meet. It seems to affect the whole row of tile. Tiles adjacent to these are less affected.

Thanks
Sukie

G

grumpygrouter

Scottey, better late than never!
The void is about 60-70cm off the ground only. What is considered adequate?

TJ - there are no cracks in the tiles. In many places, the grout has cracked or seem to be stuck to one side only. I DON'T ' think the grout (Mapei utracolor plus) was a flexible one so this is expected given flexing in the floor. In some area its whole groups of tiles together - in others 120-180cms width.

Looking at some pictures, it seems to me the tiles that have lifted the most have been where two sheets of plys meet. It seems to affect the whole row of tile. Tiles adjacent to these are less affected.

Thanks
Sukie
Ultracolor Plus is a highly flexible grout.:thumbsup:

S

Sukie666

Guss & grumpygrouter thanks!

Guys, if my builder has public liability insurance (which he said he does), would my case be covered? Having heard all your advice, it really does seem that there is no easy way around this and will need to start from scratch. The tiling job was part of the kitchen renovation project but the UFH was done by a separate firm. To do it properly would mean redoing everything. Would the insurance cover the UFH replacement etc or just the tiling? Sorry - I am really quite clueless on these matters. I just want some ammo before I speak to the builder (if he picks up my calls) about this. How would I kick start this process as well?

Any advice & thoughts would be most appreciated.

many thanks
Sukie

D

diamondtiling

Guss & grumpygrouter thanks!

Guys, if my builder has public liability insurance (which he said he does), would my case be covered? Having heard all your advice, it really does seem that there is no easy way around this and will need to start from scratch. The tiling job was part of the kitchen renovation project but the UFH was done by a separate firm. To do it properly would mean redoing everything. Would the insurance cover the UFH replacement etc or just the tiling? Sorry - I am really quite clueless on these matters. I just want some ammo before I speak to the builder (if he picks up my calls) about this. How would I kick start this process as well?

Any advice & thoughts would be most appreciated.

many thanks
Sukie

I am not sure if admin can publish Pm's Sukie but it would help if our conversations were made available, you have gone into great detail whilst talking with me, If the forum could read these then I am sure they would comment correctly.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Tiling on a suspended floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.