UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling on an uneven floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

ripkord

TF
Thanks, there doesnt seem to be a recession at the seam to be honest, but there must be given that all the tiles right along the seam are broken. I had mentioned the boards look warped - they dont really, was just the angle I was at - the floor looks level from what I can see - need to get myself a spirit level and make sure. The floor looks in good shape apart from the seam - where there is a 5mm gap between the sheets!! :

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9966

Thanks, there doesnt seem to be a recession at the seam to be honest, but there must be given that all the tiles right along the seam are broken.

looking at your diagram ripkord, there probably wouldn't need to be any kind of dip in the boards as such. if that's where people step out of the bath, a person just has to step in and out of there a few times for there to be enough pressure along the seam to cause failure.

the floor boards that are down either need replacing (if beyond repair) or re-inforcing. boards do bend when they're stood on, they will not be completely solid.

where abouts are you located ripkord? Maybe one of the guys from here could come round and help you to figure out a plan of action?

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

ripkord

TF
Argh! Thanks, this gets more expensive all the time :)

Ok to sum up:

Rip up existing tiles,
Scrape off all residue of old grout / adhesive,
Ensure floor is screwed down - minimise deflection where possible,
Put hardibacker down with flexy adhesive and screws, adhesive and hardibacker tape on the joints, allow to dry (how long?)
Put tiles down with flexy adhesive - 5mm spacers, allow to dry - 24Hr,
Grout tiles with flexy grout, allow to dry - 24Hr - sponge clean.

Stand back and admire job well done / Scratch head and wonder why its a total mess

That about right!? :dizzy2:

M

mags

Argh! Thanks, this gets more expensive all the time :)

Ok to sum up:

Rip up existing tiles,
Scrape off all residue of old grout / adhesive,
Ensure floor is screwed down - minimise deflection where possible,
Put hardibacker down with flexy adhesive and screws, adhesive and hardibacker tape on the joints, allow to dry (how long?)
Put tiles down with flexy adhesive - 5mm spacers, allow to dry - 24Hr,
Grout tiles with flexy grout, allow to dry - 24Hr - sponge clean.

Stand back and admire job well done / Scratch head and wonder why its a total mess

That about right!? :dizzy2:

Spot on :thumbsup: only a very thinlayer under the hardi so have a good coffe and a sarni :thumbsup:

ripkord

TF
Thanks everyone! Ripping the tiles up tonight, give the floor a bit of air. The real work starts Saturday - I'll post back with the results!

There is not enough room to put the hardibacker and tiles under the toilet / sink pedestal so will need to cut - the bloke in the tile shop showed me this weird templating tool that moulds to the shape of the obstruction you are fitting round. That combined with a manual tile saw and a LOT of patience... is that pretty much how to go about it?

M

mags

Thanks everyone! Ripping the tiles up tonight, give the floor a bit of air. The real work starts Saturday - I'll post back with the results!

There is not enough room to put the hardibacker and tiles under the toilet / sink pedestal so will need to cut - the bloke in the tile shop showed me this weird templating tool that moulds to the shape of the obstruction you are fitting round. That combined with a manual tile saw and a LOT of patience... is that pretty much how to go about it?

what was it called , I use paper cut the the tile size :thumbsup:

D

Daz

Ripkord, If you have little tiling experience I would probably advise staying away from rapid setting adhesives, as you will lob more of it away than you will use to stick tiles (even now the weather has gone cold).

You are best to use a standard setting addy. Use a 4 or 6mm trowel to stick the hardie in place and screw the sheet down at 150 / 200mm centres almost immediately so that it can't move and the adhesive can bond securely. Enjoy a cuppa and bacon sarnie. Wash the Hardies with clean water to remove dust etc.. Then tile away. You will get all the tiles down on day 1, and you will able to grout in afternoon of day 2. Follow the finishing instructions on grout bag so that you don't end up with a grout haze all over the tiles.

Stand back with beer in hand and admire a good job well done on Sunday night.

S

silver

Hi

It may be that only one side of the "seam" is giving the flex ?.....but my guess is the floor where you show it is knacked....... the area/boards is subject to eventual soaking from high use stepping out the bath or quite quick soaking if the tiling / grouting is poor.....it doesnt take long to fail once its started.....
I would take it all out.....do it once ...do it right....as everyone has already advised.
But
Though I havent done this....I have seen sections of floor taken out (using height set on circular hand saw) close up to skirting etc.......but its a mega gamble that the plumbing and wiring is set deep enough into the joists......and you will need to add noggins........ If the flooring isnt totally goosed up to the skirtings and you can get slightly under the front edge of the bath....sink / WC out.....this may be an option ?.....then replace timber section ....then.....board out with 6mm H/backer etc
or
If once you find you can get the floor repaired and solid no flex.... ?........and you have height rise issues by boarding ...if you can repair with large format boards again...you could tank the floor....before tiling

If theres a rad with pipes out the floor...remove it and cap the pipes so you can cut a small neat hole in the tiles and not notch them.

Degs

Last edited by a moderator:

ripkord

TF
Hi

It may be that only one side of the "seam" is giving the flex ?.....but my guess is the floor where you show it is knacked....... the area/boards is subject to eventual soaking from high use stepping out the bath or quite quick soaking if the tiling / grouting is poor.....it doesnt take long to fail once its started.....

I've had a good look at it now the tiles are up - there is practically no movement on either side of that seam, the seam is quite big though and a lot of adhesive has sank into it right where the tiles have cracked, as I was lifting the tiles I could see a cross section (through luck more than design - a tile snapped in two) there was a sizeable air pocket between the tile and the gap where the grout had 'sunk' if you know what I mean.
I'm guessing this didnt help!!

D

Deleted member 9966

A sander and a lot of elbow grease is one of the best methods. Or you could try and wire brush attachment on a drill; just mind your fingers!

Try and get as much adhesive and grout off the old boards as you can, but don't worry if you can't remove it all. You'll be spreading a thin layer of adhesive between the old and new boards, so as long as the old adhesive/grout isn't causing bumps in the new adhesive, then you should be ok.

It's hard work, but someone has to do it :thumbsup:

My husband did our bathroom floor boarding yesterday and everything went to plan, so he'll be looking to lay the majority of the floor tiles in the next couple of days.

D

Deleted member 9966

I've had a good look at it now the tiles are up - there is practically no movement on either side of that seam, the seam is quite big though and a lot of adhesive has sank into it right where the tiles have cracked, as I was lifting the tiles I could see a cross section (through luck more than design - a tile snapped in two) there was a sizeable air pocket between the tile and the gap where the grout had 'sunk' if you know what I mean.
I'm guessing this didnt help!!

well I think you can say that it was the gap/seam between the two boards which has caused the tiles to fail.

if the adhesive has fallen into the gap/seam from the back of the tile, and the tile, adhesive and floor have not all bonded together, then it was only a matter of time before the tile cracked as there was nothing holding it to the floor.

we'll make a floor tiler out of you yet ripkord :thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

15 mm !!??:mad2: Wow, that is a lot of material to remove.

For us, the cost of labor is almost always more than the cost of material, so this suggestion might not work for you on a DIY project. If faced with this problem, and knowing that the floorboards can't be cut out, I would use a feather patch material and skim over all of that mess and not kill myself trying to get all that stuff off of there.:thumbsup:

Reply to Tiling on an uneven floor in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.