Discuss Tiling on floor boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Bathpool

My first job post training, tiling a bathroom floor on old floor boards. I intend to secure the boards first then overlay with 15mm WBP ply. The only problem is that this will raise the level of the floor to the same level as the screwholes at the base of the toilet pan, which I don't think will look that great. I could take the toilet out and tile under then re-arrange the plumbing but I would prefer not to. Is there another way? Thanks

Good Luck with your first job Bathpool. I'm in a similar position to you - 4 months post training!! But I would always try to remove, and warn them it could get damaged if the screws are old and rusty.

One of my first quotes was for someone who was getting a new bathroom fitted and wanted me to tile it. I mentioned about removing the new toilet and sink, and she asked me not to. I explained I prefer to, otherwise it can take longer to get the cuts right around the WC Pan/Pedestal, and it never looks as good as the sanitarywear sitting on top of the tiles etc,etc, and easier to get a nice seal. Surprisingly - I didn't get the job!

It can normally be done fairly painlessly by adding some flexible hoses to the water supplies (10 or 15mm), try to make sure they have a decent bore size though. The 110 waste pipe can normally be dealt with by adding an offset pan connector. It's normally the 32mm or 40mm waste's that can be a bit difficult to re-route as a 10-20mm change in height is usually too much for a couple of offsets (45 deg bends). So I guess you could try flexible waste pipe connectors, if the solid pipe needs to be moved.

You'll have to weight it up yourself unless you did some pictures. Exactly what you need depends on current pipe layout!

S

Smudger

If you're struggling with the offsets to reconnect soil pipe, these Flexi pan connectors will usually do the job
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot.png
44832.jpg

A

aph257

Good Luck with your first job Bathpool. I'm in a similar position to you - 4 months post training!! But I would always try to remove, and warn them it could get damaged if the screws are old and rusty.

One of my first quotes was for someone who was getting a new bathroom fitted and wanted me to tile it. I mentioned about removing the new toilet and sink, and she asked me not to. I explained I prefer to, otherwise it can take longer to get the cuts right around the WC Pan/Pedestal, and it never looks as good as the sanitarywear sitting on top of the tiles etc,etc, and easier to get a nice seal. Surprisingly - I didn't get the job!

It can normally be done fairly painlessly by adding some flexible hoses to the water supplies (10 or 15mm), try to make sure they have a decent bore size though. The 110 waste pipe can normally be dealt with by adding an offset pan connector. It's normally the 32mm or 40mm waste's that can be a bit difficult to re-route as a 10-20mm change in height is usually too much for a couple of offsets (45 deg bends). So I guess you could try flexible waste pipe connectors, if the solid pipe needs to be moved.

You'll have to weight it up yourself unless you did some pictures. Exactly what you need depends on current pipe layout!

good advice there Denis.

Glad if it helped. The flexi pan connectors will work too, but that sometimes depends if you've got the extra space!!

I was just refering to a straight swap with an offset/normal straight connector, as they both have same overall length. A flexi hose is likely to require cutting the 110 pipe back, as even the shortest one's are longer.

I usually use flexi connectors on back-to-wall WC/Cisterns. Like to make sure the seal is good before I push it into it final resting place!!

Reply to Tiling on floor boards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling on floor boards
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.