Discuss Tiling on Thistle Bonding in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

I've just done the same in my kitchen yesterday and I've used bonding to fill in and plumb up the wall where half of it came away.

PVA'd the walls last night so just about to give them another PVA coat before skimming the whole wall with multi-finish. Should be good to tile in a couple of weeks once its dried out.

I seem to recall that bonding is really porous so it would suck the water content from the adhesive too quickly meaning your tiles would fall off.

A

Anto Holland

I primed it 4 times, boarded one whole wall up. The window wall 2 tiles high I've tiled onto it. Left it a few hours and it stuck solid really well. I'll have a look tomorrow and reassess.

Had no choice, they need it doing this weekend and I explained to them what my issues were.

I don't think I'll have any problems to be honest.

Would never do it round a shower or bathroom.

Kitchen splashback around 2s worth.

Shoot me down by all means but that's what I've done coz I had to.

Thanks for responses

S

Stef

If you really really have to without having the surface finish coated, do what I've had to do for builders. Don't use PVA but a decent primer and then skim with the adhesive you are going to use. I've had to do this many times for skin flints and to be honest never had a problem.
I would however not do this for a wet room/shower. Kitchen splash back should be fine (ish)!

I think we have to look at this from a realistic point of view, would I tile to it?
Probably...
It's only a kitchen Splashback to be fair, if it fails then there's only one person to blame.
It's not right but sometimes you have to go against the grain...

A

Anto Holland

I think we have to look at this from a realistic point of view, would I tile to it?
Probably...
It's only a kitchen Splashback to be fair, if it fails then there's only one person to blame.
It's not right but sometimes you have to go against the grain...

Aye... Had to make a choice. Walk away or do it. Can't walk away as it was planned around other work...

I'll keep you all posted anyways. 2 tiles high on one wall which was treated very well before hand.

Wanted to plaster skim it but couldn't due to time

Cheers Stef

S

Stef

Aye... Had to make a choice. Walk away or do it. Can't walk away as it was planned around other work...

I'll keep you all posted anyways. 2 tiles high on one wall which was treated very well before hand.

Wanted to plaster skim it but couldn't due to time

Cheers Stef

I'm not agreeing with you but sometimes you have to look at it in perspective & assess the situation.
If it fails is it going to hurt someone?
The answer is no so I would tile if I needed the work.
The only thing I would worry about is that if it does fail then you can get a bad name about yourself.
Do a job right the 1st time....

A

Anto Holland

I'm not agreeing with you but sometimes you have to look at it in perspective & assess the situation.
If it fails is it going to hurt someone?
The answer is no so I would tile if I needed the work.
The only thing I would worry about is that if it does fail then you can get a bad name about yourself.
Do a job right the 1st time....

I hear ya. But I will always go back and I always offer to go back if need be. If it needs to come off the wall then it's a days work and I will do it. They know the issue I had abs they agreed to have it done [emoji106]

J

jollyroger

A mate (who's a brickie) who put hardboard down on his floorboards using tacks then tiled on top, it's been down 6 years and not a crack in sight....how?????:yikes:

Also came across a bathroom floor about a month ago tiled on 3mm hardboard. Apparently it was done 4 yrs ago. I was shocked, the tiles are stuck solid. Also had to re-tile a small porch floor recently, the tiles had been laid on 18mm MDF. They were stuck solid took me a full day to rip it out.

Reply to Tiling on Thistle Bonding in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Need some help please with calculating levels and the build up of the floor to support tiling...
Replies
Views
Posted a couple of times for advice a few weeks back, the outcome of which was to scrap my plan...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB