UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss tiling on to bonding in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gardenveg

Hi am new here.
Have a bit of a problem. jUst had to take off some tiles from bathroom that were put on about 2 months ago.
Some of the plaster has come away on the wall leaving the plasterboard underneath on view which is an area about 20 inches by 8 inches above bath where shower will be.
Need to retile but have been told no need to plaster this area but can use either bonding on it or just fill in the area with extra adhesive when to retile
Bit worried as have seen on this forum that should not tile on to bonding as absorbs moisture. I don't want the tiles falling off the wall particulary as it is by the shower over the bath so lots of water and steam.
Is is best to chip off lose plaster and replaster the area again before retiling .

G

gardenveg

Yes the plasterboard is intach. Here are a couple of photos of area.
cheers. P1010471.JPG

T

The Plasterer

if I was you I would
1) hack off all loose plaster around the area , from the pic the plasterwork looks in bad condition .
2) plaster it again with Thistle Bonding , but just before the bonding sets wet a brush and run it over then bonding to close it in .
3) after it's set by at least 12 hours give it 1 strong coat of Pva ( mixed to manufactures strength )
4) tile it after the pva has dried

I would personally say pva all plasterwork before tiling , you could even put in some emulsion to the pva mixture , as that will also help to seal the plasterwork

hope that helps , Jim. :thumbsup:

J

jwatson

not very good advice there pal. wouldnt use bonding plaster and absolute no no to PVA in any tiling installation,
if I was you I would
1) hack off all loose plaster around the area , from the pic the plasterwork looks in bad condition .
2) plaster it again with Thistle Bonding , but just before the bonding sets wet a brush and run it over then bonding to close it in .
3) after it's set by at least 12 hours give it 1 strong coat of Pva ( mixed to manufactures strength )

I would personally say pva all plasterwork before tiling , you could even put in some emulsion to the pva mixture , as that will also help to seal the plasterwork

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
if I was you I would

think you need to stick to plastering.....:thumbsup:..:lol:

T

The Plasterer

ok , I'm happy to accept that I'm wrong on the Pva thing , but not sure what the objection is on Bonding ????? , especially as it's been '' closed in '' by running a wet brush over it just before it sets , and bearing in mind that the original question was about a reasonably small patch area , I recon you'd '' get away with it ''
but I have'nt joined these pages to have a row , so I'll sit back quietly and shut up and see how this develops.

C

Colour Republic

ok , I'm happy to accept that I'm wrong on the Pva thing , but not sure what the objection is on Bonding ????? , especially as it's been '' closed in '' by running a wet brush over it just before it sets , and bearing in mind that the original question was about a reasonably small patch area , I recon you'd '' get away with it ''
but I have'nt joined these pages to have a row , so I'll sit back quietly and shut up and see how this develops.

You may have closed it slightly but it's still far too porous and unstable, you may have 'engineered' it but not enough and if you read gyproc's data sheets they even state not to tile on to it.

I hope you haven't taken offence to the comments in this thread, it's just that a lot of plasters think the same as you and go ahead and do this before the tiler has got on site then they have to deal with an unsuitable substrate and then have to convice the home owner the plasterer despite what he thought was wrong.

So in the interest of better understanding, bonding is not suitable to tile on to and neither is PVA a suitable primer. Now please, please, please spread the word with the rest of your trade!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

Just to clarify why not to then read num 13 on this link>>>>> Tiling to Gypsum Plaster

T

The Plasterer

Just to clarify why not to then read num 13 on this link>>>>> Tiling to Gypsum Plaster
Cheers for that Dave , must confess I really did'nt know that bonding was so bad for tiling onto , just goes to show that even after 28 years plastering experience , I can still learn a few things . ( but I've even but in my profile that I'm an Amatuer at Tiling , and do hope to pick up helpful hints and tips from the guys with the experience . )

slightly in my defence , I did know about number 14, and when plastering a bathroom that's going to be tiled , I never "polish" the plaster work and tend to run a very light brush over the surface just before it sets to give a slight Key for tile adhesive to stick to.

T

The Plasterer

I hope you haven't taken offence to the comments in this thread, it's just that a lot of plasters think the same as you and go ahead and do this before the tiler has got on site then they have to deal with an unsuitable substrate and then have to convice the home owner the plasterer despite what he thought was wrong.

. Now please, please, please spread the word with the rest of your trade!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'll do me best :)

D

DHTiling

Cheers for that Dave , must confess I really did'nt know that bonding was so bad for tiling onto , just goes to show that even after 28 years plastering experience , I can still learn a few things . ( but I've even but in my profile that I'm an Amatuer at Tiling , and do hope to pick up helpful hints and tips from the guys with the experience . )

slightly in my defence , I did know about number 14, and when plastering a bathroom that's going to be tiled , I never "polish" the plaster work and tend to run a very light brush over the surface just before it sets to give a slight Key for tile adhesive to stick to.

Every day is a learning day, nobody knows it all and hence why members pointed you in the right direction... stick around and enjoy the banter etc. :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling on to bonding in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.