Discuss Tiling onto a tray.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

I have a last minute Christmas commission, and I unsure about materials involved.

Basically, the customer wants me to source an approx. 40 cm square or round tray and mosaic it with tile or vitrified glass, so that the mosaic is level with the top edge of the tray frame, turning the whole thing into a kind of level mosaiced table mat to withstand big cast iron casserole pots straight out the Aga, all completely flat, so the pot can slide off it, too, if need be, withoug getting stuck at the frame, edge, whatever.

Two questions - what tray material can I tile onto, that would take the adhesive, that would need to be built up so the mosaic is level with the frame, and cope with the heat of the pot, as well as a very heavy handed owner who would just bang a heavy pot straight onto it?

And what adhesive would you use? I have horrible visions of glass or tiles cracking with the pressure or heat, know this might have to be an epoxy grout job, but building up the height, would cement adhesive with latex addy work?

Would anything stick to stainless steel or melamine or enamelled metal trays? HELP???

D

diamondtiling

The heat should not be a problem G, after all the tiles have already been in a far hotter place when they were fired.
When manhole covers are tiled the heights are achieved with marmox boards to eliminate weight problems or sand and cement if weight is not an issue.
You wont have a problem with the tray although I am not sure about stainless, most inspection chamber covers/manholes are galvanised.

:thumbsup:

U

user123

Marmox board, eh... not bad, not bad... I was more worried about a full cast iron pot crashing down on my mosaic and cracking it,
sick2.gif
and yes, the heat, with what tray edge material, too, ...

Reply to Tiling onto a tray.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
W
I will be doing full bathroom renovation, and the plan is to build a walk in shower due to the...
Replies
Views
Paul Bleasdale
P
O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling onto a tray....
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks