UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling Onto Carlite Bonding ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Monkey Wrench

Can you tile directly onto Carlite Bonding ?

The plasterer (who bonded the walls) advised to Unibond (PVA) prior to tiling but, as far as I'm aware, that's a definite no.

I want to get on with the job but I'm reluctant to tile directly onto the bonding as I'm sure it will just suck all the moisture out of the adhesive leaving a pile of tiles on the floor (and not on the wall where they should be).

I've read so many conflicting opinions on this matter and still do not know one way or the other.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

M

Monkey Wrench

Thistle dri-coat base cement coat could have been used to tile on.....If the bonding has dried out and the need to apply a finish is required a coat of pva to cut the suction down for a slow setting finish would be required but that will only take 20kg m2.

Thanks for the post whitebeam.

I take it that by "slow setting finish" you mean the drying time of the finish coat ! If so, how long after the finish coat had been applied would I be able to start tiling ?

I'll check the m2 weight of the tiles to make sure its within the 20kg.

W

White Room

Thanks for the post whitebeam.

I take it that by "slow setting finish" you mean the drying time of the finish coat ! If so, how long after the finish coat had been applied would I be able to start tiling ?

I'll check the m2 weight of the tiles to make sure its within the 20kg.

Yes mate, all finishes need a low suction background and thats the reason to use pva.....

M

Monkey Wrench

I spoke to the plasterer this afternoon and he has told me that carlite bonding is perfectly ok to tile on providing the suction has been neutralised by applying something like Bal Bond SBR prior to tiling. He says that he's quite happy to skim the bonding but thinks that it will be a waste of my money as all I'd be doing is paying for an additional finish to tile (glue) onto when the bonding is a perfectly good tiling surface one primed with SBR !

I'm certainly not doubting any of the excellent advice I've received on this forum but just confused by the conflicting opinions !

P

Perry

This is what British Gypsum say
• Thistle plasters can be decorated
with most paint finishes and
wall coverings by following the
manufacturers’recommendations.
• Impermeable finishes, such as tiles,
should not be applied until the
background and plaster are dry.
• Take care withThistle Hardwall land Thistle Tough Coat which dry
from the surface, appearing surface dry before they are fully dry.
• Tiles up to 20kg/m2
can be applied directly to Thistle finish
coats. If a bonding agent is used the limit is reduced to
12kg/m.
Tiles should not be applied directly to Thistle undercoats,
with the exception of Thistle Dri-Coat
• Where tiling onto finish plasters, avoid polishing the surface.Where the surface is polished, roughen and apply a suitableprimer.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

This is what British Gypsum say
• Thistle plasters can be decorated
with most paint finishes and
wall coverings by following the
manufacturers’recommendations.
• Impermeable finishes, such as tiles,
should not be applied until the
background and plaster are dry.
• Take care withThistle Hardwall land Thistle Tough Coat which dry
from the surface, appearing surface dry before they are fully dry.
• Tiles up to 20kg/m2
can be applied directly to Thistle finish
coats. If a bonding agent is used the limit is reduced to
12kg/m.

• Tiles should not be applied directly to Thistle undercoats,
with the exception of Thistle Dri-Coat.
• Where tiling onto finish plasters, avoid polishing the surface.Where the surface is polished, roughen and apply a suitableprimer.

They used to say 20kg m2, holy moses.

W

White Room

Just found this from the BG website, wish there'd make there mind up.

Tiling onto plastered surfaces
Skim plastering is not normally specified to Gyproc moisture
resistant grade boards.Tiles up to 20kg/m2
(including adhesive and
grout) can be applied directly to Thistle finish plasters, except where
the system includes a bonding agent. In this situation the total
weight of tiles and plaster applied over a bonding agent is limited to
20kg/m2
, therefore consideration should be given to tiling directly to
the background. If plastering to provide a background for tiles, avoid
polishing the surface. Polished plaster surfaces should be roughened
and a suitable primer used. Consult the tile adhesive manufacturer
for guidance.
Tiles should not be applied directly to Thistle undercoats, with the
exception of Thistle Dri-Coat

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tiling Onto Carlite Bonding ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.