UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling Onto Carlite Bonding ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perry

I didn't ask the plasterer to use bonding ! I just asked for a finished service suitable for tiling.
did you pay him i hope not till he comes back and finishes yes not many people are any good in the building trade imo they don't even know about their own jobs let alone other trades bad when tilers know more about plastering than a plasterer feel sorry for you guys but most of the time these guys get the work because they are cheaper but not always some talk a good job

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Monkey Wrench

did you pay him i hope not till he comes back and finishes

No, he's coming back later this week to skim the walls. I met him today at the customers house and he advised that, considering the thickness of the bonding he had applied (and the substrate beneath it) there would be no problem tiling onto the bonding. Additionally, the fact that he will have to apply a couple of coats of Unibond (PVA) to the bonding prior to skimming the wall means that the plaster skim will be sitcking to the PVA which is no different to applying a primer directly to the bonding and tiling directly onto the bonding. I really didn't have an argument to that but still insisted on he skim before tiling !

I do not know if any of you have come across this, but a few years back did a site had trouble with the tiling coming away with the plaster on the back of the tiles we had four bathrooms with this problem it turn out that the walls were carlite finish on render it was causing a reaction if plaster was applied to early onto the render the finish would craze so we were told that Carlite do not recommend finish on render,turned out the builder had to fight it out with Carlite in court as some of the houses had to be all replastered ,did have us worried thought it might be our problem.

Last edited:
W

White Room

I do not know if any of you have come across this, but a few years back did a site had trouble with the tiling coming away with the plaster on the back of the tiles we had four bathrooms with this problem it turn out that the walls were carlite finish on render it was causing a reaction if plaster was applied to early onto the render the finish would craze so we were told that Carlite do not recommend finish on render,turned out the builder had to fight it out with Carlite in court as some of the houses had to be all replastered ,did have us worried thought it might be our problem.

Carlite finish has'nt been around for years and was designed for the gypsum under coats which were floated out one day and then finished the next but never designed for render though, we used to apply siriphite or board finish on render the next day giving the sand cement time just to firm up.

M

Monkey Wrench

Were you tiling directly onto the Carlite bonding or was there a coat of finish plaster on top of the bonding ?

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Carlite finish, it was ace on suction, no messing about like skimming plasterboard, 2 coats trowel up job done. Like whitebeam said a no on s/c, board finish or multi when it came out only, cant believe a builder would do that, daft.
As for tiling on bonding, id either knockoff or dryline over, or if its straight and flat why not just plug and screw the boards straight on top of bonding?

M

Monkey Wrench

get it skimmed , or remove bonding and board with new plaster boards , what size tiles do u intend using

The tiles are 250 x 400 ceramic tiles @ 14Kg m2 (1.4kg each). The wall has now been skimmed (one week after the bonding went on) and now I just have to wait for it to dry. Will using either a dehumidifirer or heater speed up the four week drying process ?

Reply to Tiling Onto Carlite Bonding ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.