UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tiling Onto Carlite Bonding ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stuart Williams

Don't understand the sand/cement bit, pva and a multi finish should suffice...there has been talk recently that no pva should be used in any moisture areas involved with gypsum plaster.
Thanks. I was wondering if a sand and cement mix would be an option for a finish, but it seems as though a one coat or similar plaster finish should do the job and ensure I have a good surface to tile on once it's had time to dry. May be worth looking into SBR over PVA then, this tiling was supposed to be a simple job but seems to be quite technical

W

White Room

Thanks. I was wondering if a sand and cement mix would be an option for a finish, but it seems as though a one coat or similar plaster finish should do the job and ensure I have a good surface to tile on once it's had time to dry. May be worth looking into SBR over PVA then, this tiling was supposed to be a simple job but seems to be quite technical

Sand/cement on top of a bonding coat is a big no no, the reason a pva is used is that it needs to tacky whereas sbr doesn't really give you that option.

A thinned coat coat of pva, leave to soak in then a thicker pva wait for it to go tacky then apply the multi finish.

The bit about no pva in bathrooms etc, been doing it for donkey years so shouldn't sweat on it.

T

Tile Shop

• Tiles up to 20kg/m2
can be applied directly to Thistle finish
coats. If a bonding agent is used the limit is reduced to
12kg/m.

Thats something I never knew! Are they talking about just PVA or do SBR and Acryllic have this affect aswell? Cuz you're options would be severely limited if you use cement adhesives if that's the case.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I haven't just said something completely thick!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling Onto Carlite Bonding ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.