Discuss Tiling over floorboards - is tile backer boards the way to go? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Soyabean

Hi guys. I am going to be installing electric underfloor heating aswell as having the whole bathroom tiled (and an en-suite too).

The current flooring is floor boards in one and plywood in the other.

Am I right in thinking that the best way to go is to screw down any loose floorboards then apply tile backer boards before having the tiler tile over them?

Also want to create a wet room in the en-suite so was going to buy one of those shower trays which also look like backer boards and a tanking system to be installed before tiling.

Thx,
Sel

:smilewinkgrin:

R

Rich

Backer board is the way to go. You want to screw the floor boards down so that there is NO bounce in them at all, then fix the backer board to the manufactures specs, some say to use tile addy and others sell you a glue to use. Either way you must glue and screw as this will fill any voids under the boards, you want to screw the boards down at 300mm centers at least. This will give you just about the best substrate for the UFH as the boards will also help to reflect the heat back upwards.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

P

Perfect Tiling

All good info above. Make sure that the shower tray you get is correct for the tiles. If you plan to put small mosaic tiles onto the floor you will need a solid tray as some of the composite trays will only recommend a minimum of 50mm tiles. If you use smaller tiles you can actually compress them into the tray causing damage which would mean ripping out the tray and replacing. Good luck!!

A

aph257

All good info above. Make sure that the shower tray you get is correct for the tiles. If you plan to put small mosaic tiles onto the floor you will need a solid tray as some of the composite trays will only recommend a minimum of 50mm tiles. If you use smaller tiles you can actually compress them into the tray causing damage which would mean ripping out the tray and replacing. Good luck!!

thats something i've learned today. thx.

Reply to Tiling over floorboards - is tile backer boards the way to go? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm about to tile my kitchen with 600mm x 600mm porcelain tiles. I am tiling onto a subfloor...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tiling over floorboards - is tile backer boards the way to go?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.