Discuss Tiling over new screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

simon87

I'm new to the forum so apologies if this is an old topic of discussion.
I have just had a kitchen extension floor screeded (sand and cement screed ) to a depth of 75mm. There is underfloor heating which has been pressure tested and is still under pressure at the moment, but not yet fully commissioned. My question is how long before it is safe to tile over the floor? I have read that drying times are 1mm per day which would mean 10weeks. What would happen is tiles were laid before the screed was fully dry?
I have also seen on a few threads that Ditra mat may mean that tiles could be laid earlier. How much earlier?
BTW: the tiling needs to extend into the old kitchen which is part screed floor part suspended timber floor.
Any advise much appreciated

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
You must comission and run the heating first this can be done after 21 to 28 days. You can use fast track methods to tile earlier but ideally the screed should be dried. This as you say takes about 10 weeks. Tile before the heating is run and you will be dealing with a failure

S

simon87

You must comission and run the heating first this can be done after 21 to 28 days. You can use fast track methods to tile earlier but ideally the screed should be dried. This as you say takes about 10 weeks. Tile before the heating is run and you will be dealing with a failure

Why is this? How long duseoes the UFH need to be run for? At normal work temperature?

Will running the heating not dry the screed out too quickly?

Thanks

D

DHTiling

As long as it is 21 days old or more then you can commission the heating, this is to put heat into the screed which in turn when heated will expand.. a new screed with in-screed heating needs to be heated firstly to allow this to happen, you do not want a screed expanding with a newly tiled installation and thus blowing the tiles off the surface with shear stress..

Once the screed has had it's first initial heat and any stress associated with first heating of it will be dealt with and thus tiling can commence.

But is it worth bearing in mind that cement based screeds are also prone to curling within the first few months so the use of an anti-crack/uncoupling membrane is worth thinking about.. taking the stress out of the installation..

Also once the 21 days are up then no.. using the heating will not premeturely dry out the screed, as at 21 days it will be fully cured to allow the heating to be turned on and this process also has to be done slowly.. turn the heating on at lowest point, that is normally room temperature and then you increase this in increments of 5dgs a day till at operating temperature recommended by manufacturer and then run at that for 3 days before allowing to cool down..

S

simon87

Thanks for the great advise.
Not to labour the point, but just to make sure I've got it clear; after 21 days and I've heated the screed up as described and let it cool, I should be 'safe' to tile. Even though the screed hasn't had its 10 weeks to fully dry?

Am I correct in assuming the un-coupling membrane mentioned is Dirtra mat (or similar)? I take your point re a stress free installation, I'm all for a stress free life!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling over new screed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Does anyone have experience of using grooved dry screed boards? (Bonus points...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tiling over new screed
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.