Discuss tiling over tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leeamtiling

Hi

This is my first post, so forgive my stupidity. Doing a job next week that requires tiling over tiles. Do i use flexi or concrete adhesive ? as i say, forgive the ignorance. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, previous tiler has laid ufhin another room. 4 tiles have lifted, which need relaid. i assume i would re lay them with flexi ( and ensure the slc is suitable ? )

Cheers

Lee

L

leeamtiling

sorry daz

2 seperate job ( 1 sq mr in ensuite are ceramic tiles , 300 x 300 laid on a ply floor with flexi , tiles to go on top are again 300x300 cermaics, will it be ok to use flexi again ?). ( other job is 450x450 granite tiles laid on top of ufh with slc and supposedly flexi ) again will i be able to relay 6 tiles with flexi. Also now that these tiles have started moving, is it inevetible that the remaining tiles will lift. I informed the customer that this might be the case, if so is it best to lift the existing tiles and relay new tilesfrom scratch on the slc >

much obliged

Lee

D

Daz

Okay as for the en-suite floor....
Does the customer still use the UFH? He will notice a massive drop off in performance if he chooses to add a further layer of tiles. It is possible to tile over the existing, however, it would not be recommended. The setting out will have to be offset in both the X & Y axis so that there will be no grout lines on top of existing grout lines which will result in a lot of rubbish cuts and possibly slithers if the existing tiling has been set out correctly. You cannot be sure what and how well the existing has been tiled so how on earth can you provide any kind of assurance that your work will not fail? To be blunt, I would refuse to do the job unless I could take it all up and start again. If you still want to risk an unhappy customer, a job that will look terrible in your portfolio, possible endless calls to rectify problems and the potential for a poor reputation then you will need to wash the tiles with something like sugar soap (or an alternative de-greaser), prime with an epoxy primer such as Ardex P82, and use at least a single part flexible adhesive although an S2 grade addy will be much better.

As for the granite floor, you will be fine with a single part flexible adhesive, although I would want to understand the reason for failures and rectify before undertaking the work, otherwise they are more than likely to fail again but this time it will be your name that's tarnished.

I hope that's of some help and tread carefully mate, this job sounds well dodgy.

Daz

D

DHTiling

Hi Mate

Ive only started using tf. How do i actually place a new post on to the forum. I am trying to find out which adhesive to use with 45 x 45 granite wall tiles?. Customer also has a mosaic border for halfway point in walls. Is it best to tile up to and inc border then leavr and revisit next day to continue ?

much appreciated help needed.

cheers

Lee

Hi Daz

I am struggling to work out how to send a new post on tf. doyou know which adhesive to use with 45mm x 45mm granite wall tiles ? Also, customer has mosaic border for halfway point on walls, is it best to tile up to and inc border, then revisit to continue next day ?

cheers

Lee

Hi lads..

Go the Home page.. http://www.tilersforums.com/ then click on a forum category of your choice to suit your thread.. then click on that forum and at the top left corner will be new thread tab.. hitt hat enter a title and then click the text box.. enter your text and then hit submit.. hey presto a new thread.. :)

L

Lodger

Think Daz has covered everything there. Do a search on here about tiling on tiles and you will get a pretty good idea why pros dont like it. Also if the granite tiles are starting to lift I would say that it is pretty likely that the rest of the floor is going to do the same but its hard to say without seeing the job.

I don't think its good to tile on tile on the floor too, but I often do tile on tile on walls. I am tiling a splashback next week over an existing tiled wall.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Tile on tile is never a good idea, you don't know who fixed the existing tiles, or what adhesive / method used. Tiles may seem well fixed, but add the weight of the new tiles plus adhesive, you can see were I am going. Tile on tile on a floor has one thing going for it (gravity), on a wall gravity is working against you. Just my take on it, Duty of care, and all that.:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tiling over tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
tiling over tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.