Discuss Tiling without batten in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Evening James. I have moved this thread from the Welcome forum into the Tiling Forum.

Please do post again in the Welcome forum and introduce yourself and abilities a bit more.

Cutting bottom row in after setting out basically describes finding out what your layout will be, then tile first row of wall tiles from floor, but measuring and cutting so the tops of all of the tiles are 100% level with each other. This then allows you to tile from this level thus eliminating the need for battens.

J

James aldridge

Evening James. I have moved this thread from the Welcome forum into the Tiling Forum.

Please do post again in the Welcome forum and introduce yourself and abilities a bit more.

Cutting bottom row in after setting out basically describes finding out what your layout will be, then tile first tow of wall tiles from floor, but measuring and cutting so the tops of all of the tiles are 100% level with each other. This then allows you to tile from this level thus eliminating the need for battens.
Ok well the only issue is that i have a shower tray installed, so as long as this is level, could i get a straight line right roubd the room from this? As long as the vertical/horizontal cuts work with setting out, and work down from this line to the floor??? Wud this work, down quite underatand how to cut in first row tiles, what height etc??

J

James aldridge

That height of first row is your choice depending on the planned layout and obstacles in the room. From what you are describing it sounds like you are wanting to lay a full tile first. Am I correct?
I would like a nice full tile to run round the bottom of the shower tray as long as level, and for that level ti run right round all the other walls as long as it works, but i dont want to use a batten , and just wondered how i could get down to the floor then work up, would a good grip adhesive help? There only 4x12 tiles, not heavy,

J

James aldridge

That's the issue..... you are hoping everything including the floor and tray are bang on level which they most probably won't be. Work out a few different layouts and see what works best as the first tile. More often than not a half to 3/4 tile works best.
Just use a polymer modified cement adhesive with good initial grab.

Is this your first tiling venture?
No not my 1st tiling venture , i am confident in my tiling, but is my side job, and has been a little since i did a big tiling job, both shower walls tiled wall to ceiling and the other 2 just half way up.. and rile the floor. well im certainly hoping they fit the shower tray level, ok a good grip adhesive sounds good..

Hi James,
To be honest mate, however you want you tiles to fall I don’t understand why you’re so adverse to using batons.
I have a laser level and a good selection of 3”x 2” CLS in various lengths. It takes me about 15mins to baton out a bathroom and at the end of it you have the security and peace of mind that everything is in the right place and there’s gonna be no slippage.
My advice would be to stick with the batons and play it Safe mate. Cheers Dave

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tiling without batten in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We employed a tiler to lay some rectified wood effect planks in a herringbone pattern…...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hello one and all, I have a 240m2 floor tiling job to price, including a tile upstand edged with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB