Discuss Tilling over an existing tilled floor surface - Adhesive advice required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mark1111

Hi.

I'm looking to tile over my kitchen floor with slate tiles. At the moment, the kitchen floor has a solid concrete base and is tilled with either porcelain or ceramic tiles (I have no idea which but it's likely to be the cheapest available the previous owner could get hold of). The floor is solid without any movement.
Normally I would have removed this layer of tiles but it just so happens that when I knocked a wall out at the end of the kitchen, the height of the tilled surface matches the height of the concrete floor we revealed.
I'm aware that I will need to scuff the shiny surface of the tiles that are already down and may even need to cut grooves into them but what sort of adhesive do I require??
Two shops have told me that I need flexible adhesive but I can't understand why when the floor is nice and solid. Can anyone advise me?? If I decide to go for a ceramic tile instead of the slate, will this make any difference to the type of adhesive I need?

Many Thanks,

Mark

M

mark1111

Thanks for the help so far guys.

The total floor surface equates to 30m2. Approximately 4m2 of that is uncovered at the moment (bare concrete) and it’s that area of the floor which sits higher than the rest, or at least would if I removed the old tiles.

The remaining 26m2 has the old tiles in place. I'm a bit reluctant to remove all the old tiles and then have to either use some self leveling concrete to bring it up to the height of the bare concrete floor or use extra adhesive (I presume those would be the two options??).

I presume that the existing floor is solid because none of the tiles sound hollow when knocked and despite by best efforts, I can't get any of them to move. All the old grout is still in place which may suggest that the tiles haven't moved. I estimate that the tiles were put down in 2003. The house was built in the 1930's. Overall, the floor is pretty level.

The slate tiles I'm looking at are between 10-12mm in depth.

Going back to the original question, let's presume the floor is solid and I opt for the tiling over the existing tiles option. Would flexible adhesive be required or would normal adhesive do the job? Is there a particular brand you would recommend in these circumstances?? What would the risks of doing this be rather than stripping back to bare concrete?

Thanks again for all your help.

Mark

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tilling over an existing tilled floor surface - Adhesive advice required in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Tilling over an existing tilled floor surface - Adhesive advice required
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.