UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Time between sealing travertine and grouting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

UniverSeal

This is a waterbased formula, this is why it is so unique because it is quite difficult to formulate this type of product with water as the carrier. I might me wrong but I think this could be the only waterbased colour enhancing impregnator on the market??
lol, so it is... i should read the small print as well :lol:..

Only heard about it the other week.. :)

So the stone foam.. water or solvent based carrier.?

G

Gall.B

Aerosol sealers are not ideal for sealing large areas, it would be more difficult to acheive a thorough coverage when spraying the stone surface from an aerosol.

The new technology of this type of impregnator means you do not need to saturate the stone to achieve the desired stain protection, it also means the impregnator dries quicker allowing for faster application and completion of job.

Im sorry this just does not make any sense to me what your saying is a contradiction.

Its a new formula etc and does what it says on the tin, so why does it work one a few m2 and not a lot of m2 if applied correctly using aerosol aplicator or back pack spray kit???????

Doesnt say that on the product last time I looked, and is quite honestly ridiculous if it works for 1 tile applied correctly it works for them all.

I have also seen floors saturated to much using traditional sealers and ending up a proper mess.

This product is a fantastic inovation imo and deserves a chance after all a lot of people have given Dural products a second chance after spectaculor failure!

U

UniverSeal

Firstly, thank you for saying this product is a fantastic innovation, I totally agree with you, if you read my username you will obviously understand why.

My original post wasn't meant to confuse or contradict anything, what I was trying to say was that this product in an aerosol wasn't ideal for the use in larger areas becuase it could lead to inconsistant finishes, this point will obviously depend on how thorough the person is applying the product.
Knowing this product like you do I'm sure you will understand what I am saying, I am certainly not saying it doesn't work or can not be done. We actually encourage using this product in the loose liquid from an airless pump sprayer, it is an easier application than using a tradtional roller or brush method. That said, I'm sure you will agree for larger areas it would be much easier applying with a pump sprayer than using aerosols due to the applicator and how it sprays, also cost and coverage will play a big part.

Regarding saturation, as I have said it is not necessary to saturate using this product with most natural stones, but more porous stones will require more liquid or coats. Another selling point about this product is unlike most others it is almost impossible to create application marks, whereas with some other stone imprenators extra care needs to be taken to avoid application marks or streaking.

Im sorry this just does not make any sense to me what your saying is a contradiction.

Its a new formula etc and does what it says on the tin, so why does it work one a few m2 and not a lot of m2 if applied correctly using aerosol aplicator or back pack spray kit???????

Doesnt say that on the product last time I looked, and is quite honestly ridiculous if it works for 1 tile applied correctly it works for them all.

I have also seen floors saturated to much using traditional sealers and ending up a proper mess.

This product is a fantastic inovation imo and deserves a chance after all a lot of people have given Dural products a second chance after spectaculor failure!

G

Gall.B

Myself and a friend bought cases of the, all in one and stone foam plus applicators and the pump sprayer form our local rep and it was never once mentioned that using either method was not suitable for large areas (I dont consider 50m2 a large area) quite the oppisite in fact.

Using either method still beats the traditional method hands down in terms of cost ayway when you factor in time, travel rollers rags etc

I suppose powdered addys and grouts had doubters when they first started appearing :lol:

I did find the post contradictory sorry mate seen as I was defending my use of the product in an area and you were saying the opposite.

What im saying is its either suitable or not area shouldnt come in to it, you can screw a floor up using a roller application easier.

G

Gall.B

You just assumed mate when you had a pop mate.

I have used the areosol too and liked it.

The guys doing the roof coatings use spray on the slates and guarantee it, are they wrong too?

Im passionate to Dave (Wife might disagree) dont find Universeal stuff cheaper than anybodyelses, yes it saves time and money and is easier to reseal years down the line so maybe it is cheaper, point is I took acception to the CHEAP s hot you had at me about giving stone a lick with a can based on your assumption, so I have been trying to get my point accross, I thought you could give your opinion on here or am I wrong?

D

DHTiling

LOL.. you said and i quote:
I now use Universeal spray sealers exclusively

that to me sez aerosol... so am i being thick here when reading that..? if you want a pop then make sure you type what you mean ffs..

I am a stone fixer by profession and not a hobbiest.. so unless you can and do provide PROOF that a can seals stone to saturation point then wind ya neck in..

D

davemul

Well, the OP asked the question I want to know and im greeted by 3 +pages of waffle about aerosol Vs normal.

Im using LTP Matt Stone on filled and honed trav on the wall. Ive just sealed with a 1st coat and would like to know what you guys reckon is a good time to wait before grouting?

Tin says 2 hours to dry but a further 3 days to become fully resistant.

What do you reckon? would like to grout today really

chars
Dave

Q

Qwerty

Well, the OP asked the question I want to know and im greeted by 3 +pages of waffle about aerosol Vs normal.

Im using LTP Matt Stone on filled and honed trav on the wall. Ive just sealed with a 1st coat and would like to know what you guys reckon is a good time to wait before grouting?

Tin says 2 hours to dry but a further 3 days to become fully resistant.

What do you reckon? would like to grout today really

chars
Dave

Dave, you will be good to grout today. The first coat always dries really quickly and is really only to prevent grout marking tiles by making it easier to wipe down. I would advise that you leave it until later this afternoon :)

Reply to Time between sealing travertine and grouting? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. Have a tiler coming in to do my floor tiles but don't think he's done a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.