Discuss Tips For Siliconing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Northeast
Small garden spray bottle with a drop of washing up liquid, fill with water. Apply silicone . I.e. along bath top, lightly spray over with water mix, then either profiler tool or damp finger. Bob's ya uncle, fannys ya ant. Smooth Finish. (Not sure why bob came to mind) lol. ☺☺☺ plus it only sticks where you want it...

I

Ian

A huge part of siliconing is the initial application, don't apply a stinking great bead if you only want 6mm, it'll end up everywhere, just cut a small taper in the end of the nozzle. I've been using profiling tools for around 5 years now and would be lost without them but, I've always struggled to get a nice clean join where 3 lines meet. I find that it's best (for me any way!) to do all the verticals first and let them set up for half an hour or so then do the horizontals, a lollipop stick is very handy for getting right into the corners as well. Soapy spray has never really worked for me so it's not something I do, just get that initial application right, and whichever way you go from there will leave a great result with practice. Try a few things out to see what works for you.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Nearly always use the profiling tools, and when I'm going where 3 joints meet I always do one of the lines into the corner the night before, especially when its 2 colours meeting. That way when I seal the other two lines meeting up there's no chance of any dragging or mixing of the other colour.

J

J Sid

Personal I don't think you can beat one of these
wp_ss_20151221_0002.png

P

p4ulo

I love my Fugi kit too. Lidl did have a really great kit in once, I bought 4 and I'm still using it now. Admit as above, the internal corners are a nightmare, and I also did try the spray bottle with soapy water but couldn't get on with it. I use an old margarine tub to wipe the profiler onto, let it dry overnight then bin remains. Deffo good advice ref do it once then stop.....if you try and touch it up you will end up doing the whole run again!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Biggest tip: don't use cheap nasty silicone. My favourite is BAL's - nice and thick and easy to tool.
Also Ottoseal's stone silicones are very putty-like.
Wet sloppy oily silicone will just make a mess - no matter how good you are.

Oh - and Wonder wipes.

Where do you get your Ottoseal from?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I've just come back from resealing a showertray. Took all the old black mouldy stuff out and thought I'd give the Fugi kit recommended on this thread a go. I liked the idea of not having to use a spray bottle.
I was less than impressed and soon switched back to my soapy water and fingers to get the perfect looking bead. I'm sure it would get better with practice but as of now I still don't think you can beat the finish you can achieve with loads of practice using your own fingers.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
I've just come back from resealing a showertray. Took all the old black mouldy stuff out and thought I'd give the Fugi kit recommended on this thread a go. I liked the idea of not having to use a spray bottle.
I was less than impressed and soon switched back to my soapy water and fingers to get the perfect looking bead. I'm sure it would get better with practice but as of now I still don't think you can beat the finish you can achieve with loads of practice using your own fingers.
You still need to use a spray bottle.

Q

Qwerty

I always try and keep a bead of silicone about the same width as the tile spacer

So on tiles with a 2mm grout joint, you will have a 2mm silicone bead. That is only 1mm on the face of each tile where they meet. Take into account a 0.5-1mm expansion joint in the corner unless you are butting tiles up to each other. Realistically this means you will only be covering 0.5mm of each tile edge with silicone.

In my experience, a 5mm bead is the norm with 6-7mm featuring occasionally depending on the tile or circumstance where siliconing.

Reply to Tips For Siliconing in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Would anybody have any advice the best way to silicone these bumpy tiles. I think doing a bead...
Replies
Views
Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB