UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Top five regrets of the dying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

icon1.gif
Top five regrets of the dying

A nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'. What would your biggest regret be if this was your last day of life? There was no mention of more sex or bungee jumps. A palliative nurse who has counselled the dying in their last days has revealed the most common regrets we have at the end of our lives. And among the top, from men in particular, is 'I wish I hadn't worked so hard'.

Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called The Top Five Regrets of the Dying.

Ware writes of the phenomenal clarity of vision that people gain at the end of their lives, and how we might learn from their wisdom. "When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently," she says, "common themes surfaced again and again." Here are the top five regrets of the dying, as witnessed by Ware:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled. Most people had not honoured even a half of their dreams and had to die knowing that it was due to choices they had made, or not made. Health brings a freedom very few realise, until they no longer have it."

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
"This came from every male patient that I nursed. They missed their children's youth and their partner's companionship. Women also spoke of this regret, but as most were from an older generation, many of the female patients had not been breadwinners. All of the men I nursed deeply regretted spending so much of their lives on the treadmill of a work existence."

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
"Many people suppressed their feelings in order to keep peace with others. As a result, they settled for a mediocre existence and never became who they were truly capable of becoming. Many developed illnesses relating to the bitterness and resentment they carried as a result."

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Many had become so caught up in their own lives that they had let golden friendships slip by over the years. There were many deep regrets about not giving friendships the time and effort that they deserved. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

What's your greatest regret so far, and what will you set out to achieve or change before you die?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
As with Grr and Whitebeam. I wish that A) I had children years ago. I worry about the fact that I'll be 50 when my daughter is just 20. I would have liked to have been younger when she's still in her youth. And B) that I travelled more before I got tied down somewhat.

I have quite a few regrets in life but if I repeated life, I think I'd do it exactly the same other than the above.

I didn't do so well at School and I used to think I wanted to do it all again and try harder but now I realise that I've come out better for it. I left school when I was about 13 and started work when I was 14 and as a result I've ran businesses since being in my teens. And I've screwed one or two up but it's all experience.

I guess I could have held on to a few more friends but I have a fair few now that I don't get to see enough (but still do see at least monthly) so I guess I'm okay so far on that front. The Mrs has lost more friends than me and keeps cadging mine! haha

I had a regret a few years ago that I wanted to fix. My parents split up when I was 5 and I never saw my real father from when I was about 7. When I was 28 I went and found him and we got on for about 8 months but too much time had passed and once we'd got over the initial meeting each other again too much talk about the past kept coming up and we ended up not getting on so well. Haven't seen him for about 18 months or so now but we left on good terms overall and we both know the other is fine. I'm really pleased I did that and it would definitely be high on my list if I hadn't done it.

Not many more to cross off the list so to speak. I work from home with the Mrs and we have a nice life. The daughter is somewhat distracting now she's 7 and a half months old but its mainly my fault, I keep playing with her as I'm making a brew etc and get carried away. Don't think I'd change that though it's nice to be in this position.

I guess I wish I had more to show for some of the money I've earned over the years, I've always burnt cash. Though on the flip side I've done some cool things on impulse with it and I have some very cool memories as a result.

Nice thread though. Have you bought the book Endo?

B

bugs183

It has some lovely sentiments that piece, i read it the other day somewhere else.
I have been very lucky to have amazing parents that taught me these values as a child. I was encouraged to be a friend, have a sense of humour and not dwell too much on money, but 'invest' in memories. And above all to follow my life as i want and not to bow to society or peer pressure.
I knew everyone at school no matter who they were, i've kept in touch with all the great people in my life. I have met some amazing people whether through my work or hobbies and travelled extensively all over the world.
As a result of my world i've almost become to independant, i want for nothing off people other than friendship. I find it difficult to be in a relationship as finding someone that thinks the same about life is almost impossible. I don't have kids, but i do love them , but don't feel any need to have them, as i haven't found the right person to have kids with, and there is so much going on in my life that i don't feel the need to have kids to fill any voids in my world.
The only regret is i work too hard, and i bet all you guys do to, i discussed this with a good friend much younger than me, who only wants whats best for his family and unfortunetly being self employed means to earn more you have to work more. But at least with our jobs there is immense satisfaction with myself for doing a good job and for the customer as you've given them a nice thing to use and look at.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Top five regrets of the dying in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.