Guest viewing is limited

Recommended Tile Suppliers

We recommend a couple of tile suppliers, Topps Tiles and Tile Giant.

They supply good adhesive brands and provide trade discounts for genuine tilers.

Discuss Topps Approved Fixer Scheme. in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,

Anyone on or been on the Topps Approved list?

If so, whats the pros and cons - is there money to be made - is it more bother than it's worth?

Spoke to the manager of our nearest store today and am going in to see him tomorrow to get the gen on it. He says that they guarantee your work and that they take back left over tiles - does this mean that there is no scope to make anything on the materials?:thumbsdown::yikes:

D

david campbell

the customer usually pays for the tiles and you can only take them back with the receipt but they charge x amount for ceramic,porcelain,stone etc,the prices are quite good but it all depends on how may tafs they have that determines how many jobs you will get,my local store uses 4 so you will get a few jobs every month but i've heard of stores having 12 and tilers only getting 1 job per month from it,make sure you get the customer to sign the sheet when your finished to say they are happy or you won't get paid

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
the customer pays Topps £20 and buys everything, so you make nothing from the mats etc. I am one of 5 TAFS in the local store and have had 6 jobs in a year - nothing since they instigated the £20 charge. I think it depends how good the store are at selling the service as to how many TAF jobs you get - I still pick up a fair bit of non TAF work from them, but there are about 20 different business cards on the counter - I think this is wrong as if they have a TAF scheme, they should only promote the TAF fixers, but...!!!

D

DHTiling

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I think if it works, and it will do for a few, then it's okay. But as said above, really they should be promoting ALL their tilers on their accounts and trying to get them all a bit of work. Though knowing how it works I think it's easy for the staff to get used to their regulars, TAFS or not, and it'll be those guys that get most of the work.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
the customer pays Topps £20 and buys everything, so you make nothing from the mats etc. I am one of 5 TAFS in the local store and have had 6 jobs in a year - nothing since they instigated the £20 charge. I think it depends how good the store are at selling the service as to how many TAF jobs you get - I still pick up a fair bit of non TAF work from them, but there are about 20 different business cards on the counter - I think this is wrong as if they have a TAF scheme, they should only promote the TAF fixers, but...!!!

Is that what the 20 quid is for?!?!?! To source a TAF?! That's shocking if it is and no wonder you've not got much work since they introduced it. So for £20 they'll walk to the computer and get your name?

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
apparently they wanted a slice of the £50 ish currys and co charge for fitting a cooker / tv etc. I think it is a massive con as all they have to do is phone a TAF and arrange an appointment for us to go and price up. I dont see the business sense in it to be honest.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
The charge is for the guarantee.
You quote for the job, but you only quote for labour.
The customer pays you direct.
Topps guarantees the work for 1 year.
You are also responsible for pickup/delivery of materials!!
You make £0 on mats because customer pays full wack for them!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
But as a pro tiler, surely you should be guarenteeing your own work...??
Yes Dave, you are right. However, the customer gets the guarantee from a well known tile shop, that will hopefully not go bust or disappear overnight. It's peace of mind for the customer. Personally I offer the same guarantee and tell my TAF customers that if they have any problems then come back to me.....not Topps. The reason for this is that if I do muck up on the job and a tile comes lose then I do not want Topps knowing about it because I might get removed from the scheme. I get 80% of my work through Topps. Cheers Sean

Reply to Topps Approved Fixer Scheme. in the Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

This is especially for "customers" -anyone who wants to buy or choose their own tiles (whether...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
T
  • Question
Just talking to my local Topps Manager and he has given me a new Trade price list for their addy...
Replies
Views
JIMBOB187
J
R
Wanted to put up a post about tiling with natural stone, most of us on here use a lot of it and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 54066
D
H
  • Question
i went into topps tiles the other day to open a trade account after being informed a few days...
Replies
Views
doug boardley
D
G
  • Question
From The Times November 28, 2007 No cracks in Topps Tiles but DIY is best avoided Nick...
Replies
Views
Jimmy Boy
J

Tile Buying Popular Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Topps Approved Fixer Scheme.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Best Tile Suppliers | Tile Supplier Discount Codes
Start date
Last reply date
Replies
Unsolved
--

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond