Discuss tracing low spots on a foor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Protilers

Some nice houses on Knight Frank Lee. How the other half live.

I just tile their offices Pete................that one was in St. Katherines Dock...........Its over a million for a studio flat!......from memory.........heheehhehehehehheheeeee............

I live in a cardboard box....just off the enbankment.....it is furnished with paper towels and a battery lighting system (torch)........hehehhehhee

all the best

Lee

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I tend to do a grid of levels, I would hope that everyone on TF will know what that is, whether the grid is done by laser or dumpy, or both. Find the highest point, and go from there.

I have posted a few pics of the way I do this, it has nothing to do with spiked rollers, or guess work, it has to do with skill and experience.

Just for the record, laying self leveling compound, and laying sand and cement screeding are a million miles apart.

Slc is easy compared to real s&c screeding.

The void between the two will never be bridged as a bathroom tiler will never be a real tiler imo, an all round tiler will be comfortable doing the same as tiling a domestic bathroom/kitchen/ conservatory, as tiling a swimming pool,or a 10.000m2 floor.

I am a bathroom basher, but I like many other members of TF can handle anything tiling can throw at me. I hope I don't upset anyone with my candour, but I think you all know my views on this subject.

a bathroom tiler will never be a real tiler imo
I am a bathroom basher, but I like many other members of TF can handle anything tiling can throw at me
. Bit of a contradiction? Lots of opinions recently on what a 'real tiler' is. Doesn't really bother me 'cos I worry about me, and not about how real other tilers are or aren't

T

. Bit of a contradiction? Lots of opinions recently on what a 'real tiler' is. Doesn't really bother me 'cos I worry about me, and not about how real other tilers are or aren't

I take your point Martyn, but no contradiction on my part, I can "bash bathrooms" with the best of them, I can also do swimming pools, screed/render, and not be afraid to take on a big industrial floor.

My point was to compare a tiler who has only ever had experience on dommestics, (not having a pop at domestic tiers) with somone who has done every aspect of the trade, is a bit like having a joiner who can hang a door but can't fit a kitchen or tackle a spiral staircase.

You are right not to worry about others. I don't, I was just making a point that there is a lot more to tiling than some people think. Each to their own.

P

Protilers

I have read this through tonight with interest.....
and naturally the forums are the demise of the skilled tiler...........we are giving away little secrets all of the time......
and I am absolutly sure I could give a newbie 4 bags of SLC to level a 1m2 floor and they will get it wrong.........lord only knows what would happen if I pointed at some sharp, dust and fibres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiling is an art.....it requires SKILL, Knowledge and an element of OCD...........you can not do a course and become a "TILER".....you can do a course and get the basics.......IE how to use a dry cutter/wetcutter etc....
you learn nothing of any "real" world use IMO...and you certainly cant learn about all the technical issues or product knowledge.......

Tiling is a game of experience........its a craft..........and it takes a fair bit of time to perfect it.......someday (hopefully soon!).......I might master it!

all the best

Lee

Oh and I hope it was not me that provoked/upset you Phil!

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

I could not have said it better Lee..

Thank you :)

you are more than welcome............but can I ask you a question Dave/Phil/Peter?

of all the calls you get about doing repairs and fixing failures etc......how many of them do you think are directly attributed to the forums?..........the DIY'ER giving it a go......the "tiler" reading up and giving it a go.......

I personally think there is a large amount of peeps reading up and "giving it a go".....and even if they are armed with the correct information.......they screw up the APPLICATION.............

just a thought!

but seriously.........Tiling is easy.....its simple.........I do it everyday......sometimes three times a day!!!!!

heheehhehhehee

all the best

Lee

P

Protilers

You can tell in the suppliers straight away.

"Four buckets of Showerproof and three 9mm white trim".

hhhahahahahaaaa......I thought about this a while ago........WHAT THE HELL DOES "SHOWERPROOF" REALLY MEAN?...IN THE REAL WORLD?......

is it "waterproof" or "water resistant".......I know the answer but why invent yet another term?.......can I use "showerproof adhesive" in my wet room?.....can I use it on the floor of my shower?

afterall......it SHIOWER PROOF!......

ggggrrrrrgggrrrrrrrr....arrrgggghhhhhhh!

Sorry, its been a tough day........

Lots of love

Lee

T

I have read this through tonight with interest.....
and naturally the forums are the demise of the skilled tiler...........we are giving away little secrets all of the time......
and I am absolutly sure I could give a newbie 4 bags of SLC to level a 1m2 floor and they will get it wrong.........lord only knows what would happen if I pointed at some sharp, dust and fibres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiling is an art.....it requires SKILL, Knowledge and an element of OCD...........you can not do a course and become a "TILER".....you can do a course and get the basics.......IE how to use a dry cutter/wetcutter etc....
you learn nothing of any "real" world use IMO...and you certainly cant learn about all the technical issues or product knowledge.......

Tiling is a game of experience........its a craft..........and it takes a fair bit of time to perfect it.......someday (hopefully soon!).......I might master it!

all the best

Lee

Oh and I hope it was not me that provoked/upset you Phil!

all the best

Lee

Not at all Lee, you summed it up perfectly. I don't get upset so much as feeling sorry for the people who think that tiling is easy.

Even more sorry for their customers, I would not dream of judging anyone on this or any other forum, I made that mistake once. I will not be repeating that again.

Who am I to comment? I have had my say, and hope that members don't take offense or see me as arrogant. That was never my intent.

I just wanted to put my point across that tiling is a very skilled trade, with many aspects I have said before I am still learning after a lifetime of watching this industry evolve, and doing my best to keep up.

Reply to tracing low spots on a foor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm currently an A-Level DT student. My project involves me making a product for my...
Replies
Views
We are having some issues with our newly laid tiles. Within several weeks of being laid, we...
Replies
Views
David John
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB