Discuss Travertine and adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gustyturbine

Hi Guys,
This is my first post so take it easy.
I am self building at the moment and love the look of Travatine. I have had quotes from 2 local guys but as cash is tight towards the end of the build I am going to do it myself. I have tiled before all be it with ceramic tiles and the results have been good.
My question is that if I buy a full tile sample from Travatine direct and the Tile and bath company will the tiles be the same quality as the sample. The Tile and Bath company have given me a sample and it is very good, the ones they have in their show room are terrible though, mostly filler. They say at the moment they are getting much better quality.
Also any opinions on the Tile and Bath company Grant adhesives? They say the Blue flexible bag adhesive is very good? Travatine direct sell Bal adhesive so I know it is very good.
What are the opinions of tiles on 22mm chipboard. I have fitted easi joist and screws are 6" centres. Floor deflection is minimal so would this be OK with good adhesive and grout? I want to avoid ply if possible so I do not have a step up into the room,
Thanks guys,
Gusty.:smilewinkgrin::hurray:

D

DHTiling

Samples of Travertine.. :) all you get normally is a 100mmx100mm square off cut.. this bears no resemblance to what a full tile will look like.. there is quite a lot of low grade Travertine coming from certain uk suppliers and they say it is first grade when in-fact it is far from it..

My supplier will not entertain low grades but as well , you get what you pay for usually
.. :)

So beware of just going by that small sample.

As for the substrate..?.. then the lads are advising fine.

G

Gustyturbine

OK thanks guys. So ply it is then. If I am correct 15mm should be fine? What do you do to hide the edge though? Can you get an edging strip to cater for a drop of 15mm+adhestive+tile? How does the drop look?
Dave- I have collected a full sample from the "Tile and Bath company". It looks good in all fairness and the guy said the quality was good at the moment. The tiles they had on the wall in the show room however looked like a wall of filler!
I was thinking of gettinf a full sample of the "Premium Ivory" from Travatine Direct. It will cost £35-00 for carriage but I figure it could be money well spent. What would a good price be for decent travatine?
Am I alos correct in thinking that flexible adhesive and grout is the only way to go? Is Bal still the best?
Thanks in advance,
Gusty.

G

Gustyturbine

Dave- I have a full sample from the Bath and tile company and it seems very good. The guy said that at the moment the quality was higher than normal. The tiles on the wall in the display looked like 90% filler.
So if I was to fit ply on the floor at 15mm then I would have a drop of about 1". How do you hide this? 15mm ply+adhesive+tile would be about 1".
So regarding adhesive, is Grant blue adhesive fine or is Bal still the best?
I am also going to order a full sample from Travatine Direct to check the quality.
Thanks guys,
Gusty.

G

Gustyturbine

Charlie1,
I agree. My problem is that the 2 prof tilers that have quoted for the work have both said that trav on chipboard with flex adhesive is OK!!!!! No confidence in them now. I will need to shop around a bit more. Anyone know of a good tiler in the Aberaeron area? I did think my quotes where quite high. Do large open room cost less to tile than awkward bathrooms? Does anyone travel for work?
Gusty.

Reply to Travertine and adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Travertine and adhesive?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.