Discuss Travertine and Plasterboard query. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perfect Tiling

The boards must be rigid and I note that you are tanking the walls which is a must. The weight of Travertine tile and adhesive would be in the region of 32kgs/m2. However, be careful the market is flooded with cheap Travertine mainly cross cut which is full of voids and fillers. Travertine being a soft stone is likely to attract soap residue and dirt it is not the best finish for areas constantly in contact with water. Bob Howard MBE

All travertine is different. I did a bathroom with 16mm tiles honed and filled. Actually weighed a sq mtr on the bathroom scales and they came in at 29kg so with addy and grout were just on the limit. I checked with BAL anyway and they said the 32kg was a "safe" number and not to worry. You'll be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mr Tiler

All travertine is different. I did a bathroom with 16mm tiles honed and filled. Actually weighed a sq mtr on the bathroom scales and they came in at 29kg so with addy and grout were just on the limit. I checked with BAL anyway and they said the 32kg was a "safe" number and not to worry. You'll be ok.
but if it was to fail and weighed more than the recommended limit surely it would be none other than.... the tillers fault lol

W

White Room

but if it was to fail and weighed more than the recommended limit surely it would be none other than.... the tillers fault lol

The trouble is Ash if they decided the weights could be increased, say 10kg m2 on each surface, some would be increasing the tile weights onto the surface by 20kg and then problem would arise.
I find in most cases of failure is just bad prep.

Reply to Travertine and Plasterboard query. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I am refitting the bathroom, and have removed the (two layers of) tiles but unfortunately not...
Replies
Views
Hi been browsing the forum, lots of good advice. I’m after some myself of you don’t mind...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I'm doing a total refit of my bathroom, including the floor which is water damaged...
Replies
Views
C
Hi, We have brought 600 x 400 x 12 travertine for wall and floor in a small bathroom. The...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
L
Right, I'm going to get shot down asking such a question. I'm doing 2 bathrooms in a house...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Travertine and Plasterboard query.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Canada Tile Advice
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond