UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Travertine over mixed sub floor with underfloor heating. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

7doughnuts

Hi All,

I'm after some advice regarding the preparation of the subfloor for a travertine installation.

I have just finished an extension which has a concrete subfloor with wet underfloor heating and 80mm screed on top of insulation. The existing property is supended wooden floor. I want to lay travetine throughout and had planned on putting 18mm plywood over the whole floor to cover the transition and strengthen the suspended floor etc.

I have concerns that the underfloor heating may not work as efficiently if I lay ply over the top of it, and wondered if it would be best to ply over the suspended floor and then use a self leveling screed or something over the existing screed to get the levels the same (make up the 18mm)?

The concrete screed has been down since the summer and I have checked it's moisture content with a meter.

Regards,
7d

7doughnuts

You could replace the floor boards with 22 mm ply and add extra noggins between the joist for added strength for starters.

I don't really have an issue with the strength of the suspended floor, the question was really relating to whether I should continue the ply over the concrete floor or stop at the transition and screed up to it so the underfloor heating worked effectively? Or are you saying replace the floor with ply and noggins so the levels are the same anyway?

"I have concerns that the underfloor heating may not work as efficiently if I lay ply over the top of it, and wondered if it would be best to ply over the suspended floor and then use a self leveling screed or something over the existing screed to get the levels the same (make up the 18mm)?"

7doughnuts

If you replace with ply, then floor stays at the same level, so no need to ply over screed, which would cause problems with the heated floor IMO. I would then recommend using a decoupler over the whole floor fixed with a quality SPF adhesive. You would also need to have an expansion joint between the two substrates.....

The problem is I've already worked out the finished floor height to take in to account for the 3/4" ply, and there are bi fold doors with recessed bottom track etc for a seamless transition.

Would the next best option be to lay the ply over the suspended floor and then screed up to it, and lay the decoupling membrane over the whole lot? How expensive is the decoupling membrane and how thick? I've got about 55m2 to cover! Not as expensive as re-tiling the whole jobe I guess!

What sort of expansion gap is required between the screed and ply, 10mm? Does the tiler just tile straight over the gap?

Thanks for all of your advice :thumbsup:

7d

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine over mixed sub floor with underfloor heating. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Travertine over mixed sub floor with underfloor heating.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.