Discuss Travertine tiles in a shower. Help needed. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

The latest update. Forgive me if I'm boring you with this.

Plumber number one came back yesterday. He said he would take out the shower, cut out some of the plaster to set the tray back into the wall. He would use undiluted Unibond on the walls behind the tiles. He said the walls were sound and would take the weight of the tiles no problem. He would screw down all the floor boards and use Nomoreply on the floor which is thinner than ply and he would use the two part adhesive which is flexible.

The one questionable part was my bath which is a big thing with a shroud and it was a devil to put in. He thought it would be fine to tile around it as it would be unlikely that it would ever have to come out. I was worried that tiling-in the surround would be a big problem if we can't get underneath the bath in case of emergency although the oulet goes through the outside wall which the bath is against. Is it acceptable to tile in a bath so you can't get under it?

Number two tiler has been discounted because, apart from the information you've given me on here, he's left a big oil patch on my drive!!

Has anyone got any thoughts on whether it's okay to tile the bath in? What about the Nomoreply? No-one has mentioned this on this thread so I'm not sure. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
R

RubiUK

Hi kate Gary from Rubi tools here, I have been a tiler for 28 years know and just to give you a little bit of advise about unibonding a wall. If the wall is sound you dont need to put a neat coat of unibond on the wall just a wash because (a) Unibond is water based and the adhesive is full of water so the unibond just turns back to liquid like in the tub, and (b) if the unibond does stay solid your tiles arnt sticking to the wall there sticking to the unibond and not the substrate and your adhesive to work best needs to grab the substrate so thick unibond does not always mean good adhesion. If the unibond is just for waterproofing you are much better of with a tanking system.The idea of tiling in the bath is sheer folly because say you get a leak the bath panel would have to be wreaked and while you might not get a leak ever you may be unlucky and get two in a month? very exspensive maybe.

Reply to Travertine tiles in a shower. Help needed. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Travertine tiles in a shower. Help needed.
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks