Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Travertine Tiles Rocking? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pete-L

Hello,

I've recently had some tiling done (completed about a week ago) and have noticed that there are some hairline cracks appearing in the grouting along the vertical join where 2 walls meet inside a shower. I also have noticed that the grouting is cracking and falling out on the floor (you can even feel one of the tiles moving under foot). If someone could give me some advise on what to do it would be much appreciated.

The tile is a 45x30 Travertine, these where put directly onto plasterboard/plywood on the walls and directly onto the chipboard floor. Flexible adhesive and grouting was used.

Cheers,
Pete

D

diamondtiling

Welcome to the forums Peter,
Tiling onto a chipboard floor is a really basic mistake, the "tiler" should have known better, if there is any lateral movement in the floor prior to tiling then that should have been addressed from the outset. The floor should have been strengthened with extra noggins and 22 mm ply installed. If you can feel the tiles moving then that could be a void beneath the tile or the floor itself. The hairline crack in the corner sounds as though no expansion gap was left and grout used instead, that will always crack
Did you employ a "professional"

:20:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I've recently had some tiling done (completed about a week ago) and have noticed that there are some hairline cracks appearing in the grouting along the vertical join where 2 walls meet inside a shower.Definately needed to be a silicone joint here - Mapei do a range of 26 colours that would have matched the grout colour. I also have noticed that the grouting is cracking and falling out on the floor (you can even feel one of the tiles moving under foot). If someone could give me some advise on what to do it would be much appreciated.This could be one of a few things, here are four reasons - 1.the adhesive mix might have been too dry when fixing, so the tile didn't bond correctly. 2.The tiles were spot bonded therefore didnt get full coverage. 3. the tiles were fixed directly to wayrock chipboard and haven't adhered to it. 4. the tiles were walked on before full compressive strength of the adhesive was reached and therefore debonded. The only real way to find out would be to have your tiler back and lift one of the loose tiles and see what you find....

The tile is a 45x30 Travertine, these where put directly onto plasterboard/plywood on the walls and directly onto the chipboard floor. :thumbsdown:This is probably the reason why the floor is lifting Flexible adhesive and grouting was used.

Cheers,
Pete

P

Pete-L

Welcome to the forums Peter,
Tiling onto a chipboard floor is a really basic mistake, the "tiler" should have known better, if there is any lateral movement in the floor prior to tiling then that should have been addressed from the outset. The floor should have been strengthened with extra noggins and 22 mm ply installed. If you can feel the tiles moving then that could be a void beneath the tile or the floor itself. The hairline crack in the corner sounds as though no expansion gap was left and grout used instead, that will always crack
Did you employ a "professional"

Cheers, the floor is wooden joists on top of a concrete floor so there would be a void and prior to laying it did creak a fair bit. Yes all of the vertical wall joints where grouted. Supposedly he was a "professional" :thumbsdown:

Hello,

I've recently had some tiling done (completed about a week ago) and have noticed that there are some hairline cracks appearing in the grouting along the vertical join where 2 walls meet inside a shower.Definately needed to be a silicone joint here - Mapei do a range of 26 colours that would have matched the grout colour. I also have noticed that the grouting is cracking and falling out on the floor (you can even feel one of the tiles moving under foot). If someone could give me some advise on what to do it would be much appreciated.This could be one of a few things, here are four reasons - 1.the adhesive mix might have been too dry when fixing, so the tile didn't bond correctly. 2.The tiles were spot bonded therefore didnt get full coverage. 3. the tiles were fixed directly to wayrock chipboard and haven't adhered to it. 4. the tiles were walked on before full compressive strength of the adhesive was reached and therefore debonded. The only real way to find out would be to have your tiler back and lift one of the loose tiles and see what you find....

The tile is a 45x30 Travertine, these where put directly onto plasterboard/plywood on the walls and directly onto the chipboard floor. :thumbsdown:This is probably the reason why the floor is lifting Flexible adhesive and grouting was used.

Cheers,
Pete

I know point 3 happened as that was their excuse the first time I notified them of the cracks in the grouting etc.

Its a bit of a long shot but can you recommend any good tilers in the Edinburgh area that could fix this problem?

G

gm140

Cheers, the floor is wooden joists on top of a concrete floor so there would be a void and prior to laying it did creak a fair bit. Yes all of the vertical wall joints where grouted. Supposedly he was a "professional" :thumbsdown:

I know point 3 happened as that was their excuse the first time I notified them of the cracks in the grouting etc.

Its a bit of a long shot but can you recommend any good tilers in the Edinburgh area that could fix this problem?

Try Ant who runs the Tiler Training School at Craigmillar think his company name is Elements, if repairs not his cup of tea he'll point you in right direction, phone.01316611833.

Reply to Travertine Tiles Rocking? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Travertine Tiles Rocking?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.