Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Travertine Tiles Rocking? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

i can think of only one fix remove and re do sorry if its not the answer you were looking for any pics thanks

I'm starting a job in 2 weeks time for a fella that has had to do the exact same thing, begrudgingly :incazzato::mad2:
Some cowboy went in and tiled his new build ensuite - 35m2 walls done in 600x300 ASA stone effect and 12m2 of 500x500 black slate effect porcelain:yikes:
He got me in and asked what he could do to make the job this lad had left acceptable and all I could say was 'rip the lot out Neil mate and start again'....:mad2: that always sounds mercanary, but when someone has tiled all the walls with this tile using 5mm pegs what else can you do?? the whole place was covered in grout, the chrome trim had 3mm gaps at the mitres and he was about to fix tiles to chipboard soffits with nothing blocking the wall cavity:yikes:

Cruel to be kind, sometimes is the only way.

Last edited:
P

Pete-L

Would I be able to claim off my insurance for re-doing it?

Heres some pics, its hard to make out but thats only after 1 week odd.

img1010jw.jpg

img1009dp.jpg

N

Nardini

...the floor is wooden joists on top of a concrete floor so there would be a void and prior to laying it did creak a fair bit. Yes all of the vertical wall joints where grouted. Supposedly he was a "professional" :thumbsdown:

I'm sorry Pete but the only real answer is to have the floor re-done. If the floor was moving before tiling and nothing was done to strengthen it (why was the concrete sub floor not built up?) - especially as it is in a damp environment - the problem of movement will never go away.

You need a real tiler to, at least, have a look at your problem and give you some sensible, on-site advice. I would suggest you do this BEFORE allowing your original "builder" to start any so-called remedial work, as I suspect it won't be a remedy for your problem at all. It might take a few months for the problem to reappear but, rest assured, it will reappear. Probably not too long after you have paid all of the bills.

Good luck with sorting it out.

P

Pete-L

Ahh, he was meant to be here 10mins ago. I've been told to ask for his public liability number in the event that I want to claim off his insurance (not sure if I can though). I'll give him time to fix it and leave it a week as we agreed, im with you that its going to happen again. Im not sure where I stand as the bill has already been paid and if he keeps 'fixing' it the same way over and over again, surely I cant ask for a refund for the cost of getting the floor fixed by someone else? Small claims court be of any use?

P

Pete-L

Update: I've just spoken with him and seemingly 12mm ply was put down and screwed prior to the floor being laid, they are going to come back and put down 20mm ply and screw it down more and re-lay the floor. As for the vertical cracks they are going to take out the grouting and replace with silicon the same colour as the tiles (as per my suggestion after the advice from everyone here)

P

Pete-L

The saga continues...

Around the edges (outside the shower) some of the tiles seem to be dropping, cracks have formed where the tile meets the floor above the 1st tile.

In the shower some of the grout has started to come away (if I scape it with my nail it is powedery).

The pan now seems to move if you move your weight from the front to the back while sitting on it.

Any advice guys, the work is guaranteed for 1 year so I can get them back in to fix it, however I suspect a fix that will only last a few months will be done. I dont want to go this route but after the multiple problems is legal recourse the best way?

Edit for Pics -

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Travertine Tiles Rocking? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Travertine Tiles Rocking?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.