Discuss Travertine in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Park Gate
Ripped the room apart to find the floor a bit of a mess. Hit it with a bag of SLC and then fixed the Nicobond equivalent of Ditra. Walls have been tanked out around the bath, (shower over), and I had to straighten the wall around the window as it had quite a dish in it.

Now, does trav need any cleaning up before fixing? Seems to have a dusty surface so do you wash it off? Also I intend to fix with white slow set, is this ok? Or will I get any bleeding? I don't use fast set to often as I ain't quick enough!!

I always recommend sealing twice before fixing(including the sides) then, fix and grout, and seal twice again.

Using this method if you have any accidents whilst fixing,(or just after) the stone is covered. Also, by sealing after grouting you are sealing the grout too :)
Furthermore, any leaching from the adhesive or grout through the sides of the stone (usually the most porous area) is also covered.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Park Gate
Cheers all. Intended to seal after fixing and then at least once after grouting. Would seal before fixing but to be honest I don't have the room here to do that and I'm also of a mind that handling them as little as possible will alleviate any damage to the edges......My theory anyway! :sofahide:

One other thought that occurs. How dry does this stuff have to be before fixing? Tiles are outside, (but under cover), but they will be cut using the Dewalt which is obviously a wet cutter!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I always recommend sealing twice before fixing(including the sides) then, fix and grout, and seal twice again.

Using this method if you have any accidents whilst fixing,(or just after) the stone is covered. Also, by sealing after grouting you are sealing the grout too :)
Furthermore, any leaching from the adhesive or grout through the sides of the stone (usually the most porous area) is also covered.

I know what you mean, but if you work clean, back butter and full bed it won't leach through.
Personally I'd never seal stone 1st, leave it to breath while fitting, helps with the drying then seal it after the moisture has left , it's just always a thought in my mind why the watermarks show through the stone sometimes, moisture has been sealed in.
I'm probably wrong, I usually am

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
I know what you mean, but if you work clean, back butter and full bed it won't leach through.
Personally I'd never seal stone 1st, leave it to breath while fitting, helps with the drying then seal it after the moisture has left , it's just always a thought in my mind why the watermarks show through the stone sometimes, moisture has been sealed in.
I'm probably wrong, I usually am

Your exactly right, I get 3-4 floor a month that are removed due to water marking, and these are generally pre sealed .basalt being a favourite at the moment, we would never recomend pre sealing prior to laying , as you state above you will need to release all moisture prior to the seal, this can take several days or week.

Nothing more painful than fitters that are on tight schedules with floors that go wrong, unfortunatly you guys are often pressured by builder, designers and the oldest the kitchen is coming wednesday!! We need to get this down, if it goes wrong you guys are put straight to the front of who's responsible.

Travs don't tend to show unless dabs install , but can appear darker, ofen can look less dusty so no one minds, other stones can bite you. Or rust!! Moisture and oxide Blume , get lots of these to.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Ideally mechanically, we do not recomend topical finishes ,waxes- emulsions or resin based in wet areas/ bathrooms due to moisture penetrating and poss turning these white. Also main issue slip- this will need to be considered.

Also a honed finish as it is finished , is better for disguising water marks for general and ongoing maintenance. If you polish , long term-water residues often with traces of shampoos, products can etch the surface of the finish. This will then require further polishing to upkeep. I would say the finish is ideal - as is, impregnated- maintained correctly- job done

If mechanical- ats gave great advice on other thread - trav etching or I would talk to them direct to run through or other proceses of poss powder polish or vitrification.

Whichever process if polishing, do a test on unlaid stone to see how the resin filler reacts to the process chosen.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just about to embark on an extension and the first job is to move the bathroom into what...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB