UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Triblock P/Hardi and a very sick floor!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

peckers

Triblock P and Hardi and very sick floor

Right where do I start with this one. I have included pics for you too see I have taken them as i have done it, but my camera aint the best!

The customer diddn't want the floor dug up and re-screeded so this is what i done and the products used!!!

There is two floors!
The first one in the conservatory which is chipboard which is existing and was glued down to a concrete floor with some kind of rubber glue and it wouldnt budge and there was no flex at all so decided to leave it in place and over board with hardi.

The second floor is the lounge which had 18mm chipboard then plastic then 12mm MDF then roofing felt and then I found a poorly concrete floor which had been stained by the black from the roofing felt and was damp as it had no membrane below and there was no screed on the concrete either. And the two floors have to be tiled as one with a step down so this is what i did.

Pics 1,2,3
Primed the chipboard with acrylic primer and then applied keraquick with a 6mm notched trowel and laid hardi backer screwed down every 200mm centres then taped joints and feathered out the joints with the same adhesive.

Pics 4,5,6
This shows the state of the floor in the lounge after everything was removed, I repaired under the radiator with rapid setting concrete removed the old rotten wooden bearers that had been left in and filled them in with a screed mix again using rapid set cement.

Pic 7
I had cleaned the floor and repaired the crumbling areas with a screed mix then to tie it all back togeather and to make it strong again i applied an SBR and water mix with neat cement and layed this all over like you were putting down SLC, and as i was doing it i brushed it in with a stiff hand brush to give it a good key ready to take the SLC.

Pic 8,9
This is the step before and after i screeded it at 3:1 mix. All the loose old crud was removed and cleaned up and then it had an SBR cement mix put on it same as the other floor, It also backs onto the conservatory floor which is hardi on chipboard so i created my own expansion joint between the two off 10mm

Pic 10,11
I then applied ardex NA slc over the whole floor on top of the SBR mix i had previously applied, this product is designed to go under damp proof membraines and will stick to almost anything and you can apply it to wet surfaces as long as there is no standing water, And it is a great product to use so easy.

Pic 12,13,14,15,16 Triblock P
Now this floor has no membrane in it so i needed to cure the damp issue! Mapei recommended there Triblock P I have never used this before i normally use the ardex dpm but I wanted to give it a go. You mix part A and B togeather first then part C which is a powder, so far so good, then depending on how you apply it you add water to a percentage depending on if you are applying by brush/roller or spraying. I decided to roller it on, mixed it went to roller it and i couldnt get an even consistency by using the roller, so I then applied it with a block brush to get the consistency and then used a small roller over the top, This way was working a treat and easy to apply and i soon found myself zooming along.:hurray:

Pic 17,18
This is the second coat being applied at right angles to the first, you have to wait 4-6 hrs between the coats so while waiting for the first coat to dry i went for a :8: When applying the second coat I added kiln dried sand sprinkled over the top of it so as to make sure the next procedure sticks to it. When it has dried you remove all loose sand by brooming and hoover.

Pic 19
Then I applied another coat of slc this time it is mapei laytex plan, not bad to use but it diddnt seem to flow as well as the ardex na, now this might be because it had the sand to contend with, but i also did get a few air bubbles once it had dried, before i applied the slc i put a few droplets of water ontop of the sanded area to see if it was absorbed by the sand, left it for 30 mins while i got set up and no it had not been absorbed.

Pic 20
Ready for tiling, concrete floor tiled with Mapei keraflex hardi tiled with keraquick and laytex additive and all to be grouted with ultracolour :drool5:

I hope you all enjoyed my book! :lol:

And I would like to thank DAVE for working out the quantities i needed for the TRIBLOCK P couldn't get me head round it cheers m8 it was spot on :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 2.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 4.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 10.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 9.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 8.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 7.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 6.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 11.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 12.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 13.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 14.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 15.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 19.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 18.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 17.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 16.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 41
P

peckers

Nice one Peckers, very good description of the work involved..tiling looking good but can't work out the pattern you're following...
The customer wanted the joints staggered and not to be repetitive so i have gone with a joint break from 100-200mm and changing it in direction so it gives the tiles a wavey look, will take some pics finnished tomos and will post them so you can see it finished :thumbsup:

P

peckers

Some pics of it complete would be nice as well please..:thumbsup:

Here you go im finished chippy going in tomos to do skirting fire sorround etc.
And some pics included on how i made my own expansion joint too:hurray:
As there is a small step up into the conservatory of only 35mm i turned the tiles the opposite way so as to make the step more prominent to the eye, couldnt take pics of the conservatory floor as it is covered in the furniture from the lounge.
Hope you like it :drool5:

Attachments

• 016.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 017.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 018.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 019.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 020.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 025.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 29
  • 024.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 023.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 32
  • 022.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 021.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 25
  • 026.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 26
  • 027.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 028.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 33
D

DHTiling

Wow epic prep job, shame people just walk on it. Not realising the amount of effort gone in to the prep. Looks good:thumbsup: Nice when customer pays to have job preped, instead of getting saddlebag ceramics to do on the cheap. (false economy IMO):hurray:

Love that phrase phil...:thumbsup: and when they tile really fast they are blazing saddles tilers.:smilewinkgrin:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Triblock P/Hardi and a very sick floor!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.