Discuss tubbed addy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Just a point, no matter what you get in writing, you as the fixer are responsible for the job, if you use materials not suitable for the purpose and it fails, you are responsible.

Alan i beg to differ if the architects specify what materials are used then it is not the fixers problem if they use specified materials,all materials will be specified prior to installation and will be noted on drawings etc,hence its not the fixers problem if the tiles fail as long as they have gone to the architects spec,end of story.

Regardless of the what the fixer thinks the architect is to blame for not checking,if they fail the fixer then says i have used the adhesive etc that was specified and it will be in writing on all the elevation drawings on site,hence fixer is covered as long as they use specified materials

Alan i beg to differ if the architects specify <SNIP>

Regardless of the what the fixer thinks

There is a thread somewhere that states the law /s on this and sorry, but you as the fixer ARE responsible for the installation no matter what and who says "it will be ok" if it ain't right, don't use it, if it fails the buck stops with you the fixer.

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
Sorry mate but i disagree,if you say the adhesive is not suitable then use a diffrent one from what is specified then you as the person who changed said adhesive are liable for every tile that fails(if it does).

Architects specify for a reason(right or wrong)legally if they say use a material and it fails they have no leg to stand on,trust me i have been down that round.

O

ozboz

Alan P to my knowledge is right, Phil Hobson tells a story about a Scot who advised , got a waiver and still was held liable for a failure. Duty of Care comes to mind. Get the Tech rep from the adhesive company down and give you a spec, follow it to the tee. Architects rely on others a lot of the time for info, could be this one has maybe been mis informed, or is just plain arrogant, if he still baulks after you have tabled all your concerns, consider walking away, could cost you a fortune, not easy I know, ok Mate seya Steve aka ozboz

mz30

TF
Arms
liverpool
ok lets say you start a job you have the spec sheet the elevation drawings with the specs on and you follow the specs,no court in the world can blame you for using said materials ,i know as a fact if you have the above then you are not liable,been there done that.

The only time you can be held liable is if you supply the materials and you used the wrong spec.
And just to add if you think your using the wrong materials and make it known to the builder,then it is there responsibility to get the rep out not the fixers.

As the architect works for the client not the fixer or the builder.

D

DHTiling

Just because it is on the spec, does this make it right..?.. If i was given a spec and it was wrong then i would speak up and show the architect where he has gone wrong..

To say it is in the spec so just do it , is ludicrous IMO.. No court will support a waiver you sign if you knew it was wrong to do so in the first place, if you fix anything that does not comply within BS 5385 then as a fixer you are liable.. simple as that.. no matter what the spec says the architect is wrong and should be told so..

Architects get it wrong as well you know,, after all they are human..

nybor62

TF
rotherham
well we started tiling the walls with the addy i was,nt happy was all going well did approx 35m2 .
for the site agent to come in and inform us that he had made a mistake and these rooms were no longer tiled .
i cant repeat my reply .
site labourers took all the tiles of the walls , at least we are getting paid for it
the site agent has spoke with architect again who insists we use the addy provided, the agent has signed a form drafted by my self stating we were not happy with the addy, and will not be held two account for any failures

Attachments

• recent jobs 001.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Reply to tubbed addy in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a homeowner living in the Metro Vancouver area in British Columbia. I am currently...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Are there any BS standards covering this please I have recently had 3 sides of a shower tiled...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

rotherham

Thread Information

Title
tubbed addy
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.