UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss UFH, decoupling issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Steve R

Hi Guys,
I'm after a little advice ? I'm just in the process of pricing the following job, the spec is 600x600 callibrated slate tiles on a split substrate (sand and cement screed/chipboard). The screed has pipework in it and the chipboard will have polypipe system overlay on it (approx 30 sq mtrs), the client would prefer not to have any expansion joints (total area approx 100 sq mtrs: 4 rooms). The solution i would assume would be to decouple the lot, having very limited experience of decoupling systems my questions are, which would be best Ditra ? G-Mat ? or would i be able to get away with Plasticply ?. Secondly am i ok to fit decoupling matting directly to the Polypipe fibre board ?
Cheers
Steve

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Hi Steve and welcome, I would make sure there is no deflection in the chipboard then make sure the polypipe system is screwed down well, then encapsulate in slc (at least 3mm). If you need to bring the screeded areas up slc to same height as polypipe+slc.

Different substrates need expansion joints, where solid floor meets timber expansion joint is needed, as different substrates are prone to different stresses.

I would go for Ditra or new Dural, forget the plasticply imo, 100m2 is way to big without expansion , make sure you install them in the doorways and perimeter , as well as the recommended min bays, make sure you check out the bay sizes with ufh. hope this helps

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Even with decoupling you need expansion joints I believe?

The rooms will heat and cool at different rates. Don't do it without expansion joints. You can make some pretty hidden expansion joints providing the tiles are not being fitted brickbond style or something else that wouldn't allow for a straight line like opus romano or whatever it's bloody called.

Wait for the lads to respond, but I think I'm right there.

Edit: Phil beat me to it!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFH, decoupling issue in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views
Morning all, I have been given the opportunity to quote for a 110m floor in a chevron pattern...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
UFH, decoupling issue
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.