Discuss Ultracolour Plus (Beige) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Scott

If i have a lot i use a mixer, otherwie i have a ktichen fork i use and have done for ten years (its the same fork too)

I did notice the jasmine i was using at the weekedn has some really dark pigments in it, oranges and browns and took some real hard mixing to get it a nice even colour.

I also ALWAYS make sure i have enough grout to finish a certain area and never mix seperate mixes on a single wall or floor.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gall.B

just clicked the page is sponsored by mapei makes sense now.
we all know bal product are by far the best dont see many threads relating to the poor peformance of bal products
I have seen a few examples in my time of mapei grouts not being up to scratch (large scale) jobs
there is a reason bal is expensive, as for the guarantee you wouldnt need to claim it
sorry lads this is just the opinion of an experienced fixer as im sure you are 2 no need to jump all over me now

G

Gazzer

just clicked the page is sponsored by mapei makes sense now.
we all know bal product are by far the best dont see many threads relating to the poor peformance of bal products
I have seen a few examples in my time of mapei grouts not being up to scratch (large scale) jobs
there is a reason bal is expensive, as for the guarantee you wouldnt need to claim it
sorry lads this is just the opinion of an experienced fixer as im sure you are 2 no need to jump all over me now

Everyone is not "jumping" over you but you make a claim that is not shared by a large proprtion of the members so your claim isnt really a valid one.
BAL adhesives are fine but very expensive. Mapei do indeed sponsor the forums and give free training days etc. There products are just as good if not better . Now you are think "Oh yeah suck up to Mapei" but you are wrong due to most of my materials come from Biscem or Weber....again fine products and at sensible prices. I have the same "experienced tiler" claim that you do of 33 years years now, so I think I know my stuff.

Anyway as for the grouts.....Coloured grouts are BALs weak points.
I tiled a shop entrance some years ago and a few months later they changed teh design of the shop so that there were 2 entrances divided by a pillar. The same tile was used and looks fine but Bal was used on the oone side ( Black) which within 6 months looked dark grey. This has nothing to do with efflorecence, it just faded and it wasnt even outside in daylight.
The other side was Mapei Black....today it is still Black.

G

Gall.B

Hi Sir I dont doubt you know your stuff and respect guys like yourselfs opinion, just to let everyone understand I have earned my stripes too and have excellent all round knowledge of the trade and could do without getting spoken down to by guys who talk a good game or have been in the game 5mins done there mammys bathroom etc

I certainly take your point about the black grout I find adding gt1 helps significantly and is always specified if you use the bal rep for a written guarantee

One job in particular Mapei was a let down 4000sqm 600x600 porcelain same level over three buildings the oldest 200yr old round atriums with stairs off ramps round escalators etc, the original joists or floor had not be renewed (department store) everything was screeded by pros, then we ditra matted taped and layed using the mapei 2 part flexi which by the way was excellent stuff the whole place was grouted in Mapei silver grey clients choice and for any smart *** out there it was mechanicaly mixed left mixed again washboyed of with tight sponges once it took a bite etc

6 months later me and my squad were asked 2 go back whilst the ditra and sticky had done a fine job (a lot of movement in the floor) the grout didnt but what the client wasnt happy with was the colour it was black patchy blah blah. at the clients request and cost £20000it was re done using bal wj with the gt1 admix been back twice for 2 phases went up had a butchers and its still looking good

As you say Bal is better on the whole in a diffrent leauge in fact, Mapei still dont have anything to compete wiyh white star for texture and colour or blue star .

I do like some mapei products and use them nothing compares to ultramastic and there range is well priced but comparing the two is like saying the rubi is a better machine than the Sigma

Seen the weber stuff in the CTD what do you recomend?

G

Gazzer

For Weber gear it all depends on what tile, substrate is being used, as it would for any other make.

Re comments about White star , Mapei do have an product to compete with it..Mapegrip Plus. Its good stuff too but rarely use ready mixed adhesives anyway.
The problem you had with Mapei grout seems to be an isolated one as this is the 1st I have heard about it.

Putting all things aside, every tiler should use what they feel comfortable with. I dont see why I should be adding GT1 to a grout when Mapei is working great for me....as are others such as Biscem Charcoal etc Ok if I wanted the most flexible due to substrate issues then GT1 would be a thoughth but I would rather the substrate get sorted before hand.

Lastly of course the Sigma is better than the Rubi..... there you go and Rubi are a forum sponsor !! Do you think I will be assisinated now ? Nope because we all have out choices.

Reply to Ultracolour Plus (Beige) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi - looking for a bit of advice if anyone has experienced this. Hands up I am completely...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ultracolour Plus (Beige)
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.