Discuss Undercutting madness!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

aytiling

TF
Arms
Nottingham
Yes, I have been doing this job for circa 35 years. I get on a job and don't even really have to think about it, and I don't stop when I start. I will arrive at 7:30-8am and within half an hour I am laying tiles, then work straight through till 6pm without so much as a drink, just the way I am. I can shift 20-30 mtrs a day of easy stuff. Have a look at the reclaimed terracotta pic on my profile. If I remember it was about 15-20 mtrs. I laid, oiled, grouted, oiled again, waxed and buffed it all in a day. There is not an instruction book in the land that would tell you to do that but when you have done the job for years you try things out, some work some don't, you make mistakes and learn how to cut time down.

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
Yes, I have been doing this job for circa 35 years. I get on a job and don't even really have to think about it, and I don't stop when I start. I will arrive at 7:30-8am and within half an hour I am laying tiles, then work straight through till 6pm without so much as a drink, just the way I am. I can shift 20-30 mtrs a day of easy stuff. Have a look at the reclaimed terracotta pic on my profile. If I remember it was about 15-20 mtrs. I laid, oiled, grouted, oiled again, waxed and buffed it all in a day. There is not an instruction book in the land that would tell you to do that but when you have done the job for years you try things out, some work some don't, you make mistakes and learn how to cut time down.

Why the rush.......life's too short.

Not having a go at you at all peak but people keep on shouting about standardising the industry including prices so that people are earning a wage that reflects their skill because there are always some that will work for buttons and undercut everyone else. How many thready have we seen on here where someone has been undercut by a stupidly low price and people assume that because the price is cheap the job will be done to a lower standard and with inferior materials. I think your prices are far too cheap, if you had knocked the £56 off for them that would have been £12.5/m2 or £125 a day and that would work out to about 30k a year but by the time you have taken off your tax, fuel, tools, etc you won't be left with a lot and would probably be earning less than minimum wage.

If you're undercutting slightly to get the job then fair enough but being almost half of what everyone is charging your just going to end up doing a lot of graft for not a lot of money. I would sit down and work out how much you need to earn per day to give you a wage, cover your expenses and holiday pay etc, i would say it will be a fair bit more than you are charging at the minute. Your just ripping yourself off at the minute.

Like i said i'm not having a go at you, if what you charge is enough to cover expenses and give you a wage then more power to you, your in a good position to get a lot of jobs booked in but it is a lot easier to drop your price to get a job than to add money on when its booked in and your prices will follow you on other jobs

Hi there Amtek, I have structured rates which I charge now which seem to bring me in work and a decent wage.
just got save for the insurance next year!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Undercutting madness!! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, I really need some pro advice as I have just had a bathroom fitted and the tiling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 53945
D
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am due to tile our Kitchen floor at the weekend, we went all out for the Black Star light...
Replies
Views
T14086
T
T
I've just bought 85m2 of these Limestone Tiles The sub-base consists of a wet UFH system...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
R
I lost a large job on price, the client who I've been doing other work for has asked if I can...
2 3
Replies
Views
Concrete guy
C
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB