Discuss underfloor heating......do I have a potential problem ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonjo

Hi All

I recently had my home refurbished which included the majority of downstairs with UFH and a tiled surface.

There was the membrane for the UFH (a red plastic tray) placed everywhere downstairs and then the pipe laid in situ, then the screed and 3 weeks later the Ditramat or similar (was yellow) went down then the tile on top of that (600x600 porcelin)

the floor looks lovely and the UFH is excellent, its just over the last month i have noticed that certain tiles seem to creak....sounds like grit rubbing together in your hands and this has spread to other areas.....

is this me just being paranoid and this is natural movment as and when the heating goes through its daily cycle or not ? it's worth mentioning that the hallway which is also part of the downstairs area that is tiled does not have UFH and none of these tiles move.

any input appreciated from you pros before i speak to my tiler.

thanks

joe

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Sounds like they're starting to de-bond to me, sorry to say that! Tiles shouldn't creak even with UFH. The expansion and retraction shouldn't be noticeable, it's a tiny amount but enough to fail if the wrong gear has been used.

Do you know what adhesive was used, and if the floor was commissioned before tiling?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Probably only get worse to be honest yeah. Wrong adhesive would be something not flexible. Doesn't sound like it's just grout issue either. If the floor is huge and no expansion joints have been used you may get away with putting some in now. That's a long shot and it's only if that is actually the problem.

You shouldn't turn on the heating right after the tiling is done, it needs a couple of weeks to really cure before turning it on. And when you do turn it on you're meant to gradually build the heat up and then gradually turn it down each day so it's expanded and restracted to it's fullest extend. And only then should you use it as you would want to, on and off each day.

Screeds are out of my league but Dave's spot on with 'em. And we have a member on here who works for Lafarge and they're all about screeds! So I'm sure we'll be able to help find the issue, but I don't think we'll manage to stop you re-tiling it the right way and / or with the right gear.

Got any adhesive bags lying around somewhere still by chance?

J

jonjo

Probably only get worse to be honest yeah. Wrong adhesive would be something not flexible. Doesn't sound like it's just grout issue either. If the floor is huge and no expansion joints have been used you may get away with putting some in now. That's a long shot and it's only if that is actually the problem.

You shouldn't turn on the heating right after the tiling is done, it needs a couple of weeks to really cure before turning it on. And when you do turn it on you're meant to gradually build the heat up and then gradually turn it down each day so it's expanded and restracted to it's fullest extend. And only then should you use it as you would want to, on and off each day.

Screeds are out of my league but Dave's spot on with 'em. And we have a member on here who works for Lafarge and they're all about screeds! So I'm sure we'll be able to help find the issue, but I don't think we'll manage to stop you re-tiling it the right way and / or with the right gear.

Got any adhesive bags lying around somewhere still by chance?

its 100sqm in total and is in one continuous run (kitchen through hall to l/room into diner) all ditra matted which the tiler said expelled the need for expansion joints ??

it had about 2 weeks after tiling done until heating was turned on.

i burnt all the bags !! bugger.....i remember them being white and blue with coloured stripes in the corner or something like that

D

DHTiling

yes laid down and trowled came on a tipper lorry...put on the drive and barrowed it in

Ok Cement based screed, then your issue is more than likely a non-commissioned floor as Neale has stated .. This can cause thermal shock to the adhesive bed and this in turn can De-bond from the substrate,, so what you have is the matting floating in areas on the substrate.. this might not be any more now than this crunching sound you have..but it is still worth calling back your installer..

J

jonjo

Ok Cement based screed, then your issue is more than likely a non-commissioned floor as Neale has stated .. This can cause thermal shock to the adhesive bed and this in turn can De-bond from the substrate,, so what you have is the matting floating in areas on the substrate.. this might not be any more now than this crunching sound you have..but it is still worth calling back your installer..

thanks Dave

will it get worse do you think ? why would it de bond...wrong bond or ??

so your saying the ditra matting is not stuck to the screed properly ?

Reply to underfloor heating......do I have a potential problem ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Hope you are all having a fantastic Xmas. To cut a long story short I have installed...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
underfloor heating......do I have a potential problem ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.