Discuss underfloor heating......do I have a potential problem ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You need expansion joints where different rooms meet, every 10 meters on large floors in length and width, and even if the rooms are knocked through, I'd still have one somewhere for the sake of each end of the room having slightly different heat-up and cool-down times due to all sorts of factors, oven at one end, patio doors at the other for example.

J

jonjo

So.. what is the largest separate area..? and i take it is doorways separating,.

starting from the open plan kitchen it runs through to the hallway through what was a two seperate doors now knocked into one, then through the original doorway into the living room, from there through an open plan opening into what i call the sun room.

all was re screeded all be it the hallway was done seperatley to the kitchen and living room(sun room runs off living room) so the hall is in affect in the middle of the two large areas but tiles run smooth through the lot

clear or not ?

sorry i'm not builder / DIY'er !

the largest area if you like is the kitchen which is circa 50sqm but this does run through to the hall and living and sun room

J

jonjo

You need expansion joints where different rooms meet, every 10 meters on large floors in length and width, and even if the rooms are knocked through, I'd still have one somewhere for the sake of each end of the room having slightly different heat-up and cool-down times due to all sorts of factors, oven at one end, patio doors at the other for example.

i dont think i have these...i remember the tiler mentioning them but said ditra matting would eliminate the need for them ??

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
And did you say there's no UFH in the hallway?

That aside, sounds like you've found your problem. Two many rooms with different heat factors to cope with expansion with no expansion joints. Especially if tiles run from a heated floor, to one not heated, and then back to a heated floor the other side of the hallway (if I did read your earlier post correctly).

And you said the tiler said it's okay without strips when you have a de-coupling membrane, which isn't right. So you've got your culprit there too.

J

jonjo

And did you say there's no UFH in the hallway?

That aside, sounds like you've found your problem. Two many rooms with different heat factors to cope with expansion with no expansion joints. Especially if tiles run from a heated floor, to one not heated, and then back to a heated floor the other side of the hallway (if I did read your earlier post correctly).

And you said the tiler said it's okay without strips when you have a de-coupling membrane, which isn't right. So you've got your culprit there too.

yes he knew no ufh in hallway.....

i'm gutted, what should i do ? :(

he made it clear that he wanted to do the job properley and that he would not lay the floor without this ditra which as you know over 110sqm was a cost i was not expecting until he mentioned it (remember im no tiler) so i went the proper route or so i thought !

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to underfloor heating......do I have a potential problem ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Hope you are all having a fantastic Xmas. To cut a long story short I have installed...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
underfloor heating......do I have a potential problem ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.