Discuss Uneven Bathroom Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

andyos

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum so please be patient! I need some advice on preparing my bathroom floor (4ms) ready for laying Travertine tiles. The floor is 18mm t&g but there's a bump running across the width of the room where a joist is sat on top of a steel beam...it raises the level by 10mm over a distance of about 50mm either side of the joist if that makes sense.

I guess I can't change the height of the joist, so is it best to raise the lower levels of the floor to the peak of the bump with self levelling compound then board over, or to rip up the t&g and replace with 25mm ply which I could cut over the joist dropping the level? Given the Travertine tiles are quite thick, I didn't really want to start raising the floor height by 20mm before even laying the tiles.

By the way, the original floor was boarded using 9mm ply either side of the bump and tiled with ceramic tiles without any problems for three years but I know the travertine tiles are a different kettle of fish.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated as this is starting to make my head hurt :mad2:

Cheers,

Andy

D

DHTiling

Got to agree with Protilers here. easiest and probably best option would be a latex self leveller. Arditex is good and you can tile straight on top of it after 4 hours. Is the floor rigid? no point in levelling if there is movement!

Grumpy

When using arditex thicker than 3mm i would leave it alot longer than that...also setting time depends on temp and thickness....i always leave it over night to make sure it has gained plenty strength as well....

Andy.
You could also screw thinner ply to the low spots and this will reduce the amount of arditex to be used.....make sure the floor is solid as well before levelling...

G

grumpygrouter

When using arditex thicker than 3mm i would leave it alot longer than that...also setting time depends on temp and thickness....i always leave it over night to make sure it has gained plenty strength as well....

Andy.
You could also screw thinner ply to the low spots and this will reduce the amount of arditex to be used.....make sure the floor is solid as well before levelling...
You are right of course Dave, 3mm for 4 hours to tile. I usually leave it to settle overnight as well.:thumbsup:

Grumpy

A

andyos

Cheers guys for all the responses, after taking the bath & toilet out, it seems simpler to pull up the t&g and reboard with 25mm ply. I'll put some extra noggins in whilst I'm at it. I don't think my mrs thought a simple re tile would turn into a building project :grin:

If I use 25mm ply, can I just prime it and lay the travertine tiles straight onto it? If so, which adhesive would I need?

G

grumpygrouter

You will need something very flexible, try BAL fastflex (2 part) or Ardexflex 7001. Both designed to straight on to wooden flooring, use the white versions of both. Flexible grout or normal grout with a latex additive. Ardex C2 with E101 is very good but don't leave it to set for tool ong before you clean off. You will need to seal your travertine - certainly before grouting and maybe before laying.

Grumpy

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Uneven Bathroom Floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all! So I got to a job yesterday downstairs wetroom floor with mains underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB