UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss uneven floorboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If they are just uneven that is fine but if they have sagged as a result of wet rot softening them or wood worm etc etc.... All possibilities in old houses then it may be that adding the extra weight of a tiled floor will cause problems. I would just chek it out first. I would also everley the floor boards with 6mm hardibacker or similar before tiling. A it's a bathroom I might also be tempted to tank

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
It's not about keeping the height down its about installing a tiled floor on a timber floor which has "sagged" that sagging could be due to many things but they include, creep, over loading and rot. If these are issues your floor could collapse. It would be unwise and in the worst case scenario downright dangerous to tile this floor without knowin why it has sagged. Just my opinion ..... Perhaps you will get a different answer from others.

B

bugs183

He's right Js.
If you take on this floor you inherit any problems that may come with it. Woods a bad enough substrate to fix on, let alone with any sagging or age etc.
Old floors are often out of level from one side to the other, but sagging is showing that something isn't right with the floor.
Get it properly checked out for doing anything, a customer can soon point the finger if you don't.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The Victorians (at least from aout 1870 onwards) were relatively good builders. They used copious quantities of machined timber for floors, wall plates, roofs, stud walls etc etc. they rarely built floors with dips in them. Ok there were probably cowboys even then. The implication is that the floor has sagged and is not just "uneven joists". You need to lift a cople of oards to see. It is ridiculous to offer solutions to a problem unless you know what the prolem is that you are trying to evolve. Are you just going to fish for the answer that you want in order to o ahead with the job or do you want to do it properly...... Is the client putting you under pressure??

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to uneven floorboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi everybody, I've taken on the task of tiling my own kitchen, and before I wreck everything and...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone ,I am a diy tiler and just joined the forum as i will be doing a lot of tiling...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.