UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss uneven screed amongst other questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

parrot

Hi, first off I live in Spain and am building my own house. I have jobs which are sometimes to large for me to complete alone and employ local companies ( wherein lies my problems)
I had my floor laid with cement screed in January (over UFH) the finished result is not satisfactory to say the least. In some instances there are level differences of 20mm like a dip in the floor. over areas are just not flat at all with lots of ridges.
I have asked the builder to fix the discrepancies and he claims the floor is okay and subsidance is natural. I should have a level area of 65mm but in some places there is only 40mm there he claims it is the average across the floor as some places are higher. even though I explained at the start the minimum level should be 65mm.
Therefore without taking legal action I believe I will have no comeback from him.

so here are my questions and hopefully you can guide me on the correct action to take.
1, is the 400mm sufficient and will it be strong enough?
2, how can I repair the uneven areas? I wish to do this myself and could I make a mix with additive to repair this. there are off the shelf product available but they seem to be double the price of UK. self levelling products.
3, I am trying to buy a primer to coat the floor before tiling but they do not seem to have heard or use primers here. the advice I get is tile straight onto it with a flexible glue. I am looking for a acrylic primer suitable for UFH( may have to buy abroad on this one)
4, I have installed underfloor heating and will use a tile glue to c2tes1 standards is this correct?

I have never tiled a floor before, I never tiled anything before my bathrooms a few weeks before so please be patience with my lack of knowledge.

looking forward to your answers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
In terms of British standards which obviously do not apply in Spain the minimum depth ofnscreedn insulation sold be 65mm. 40mm is likely to fracture and curl especially when the heating is turned on. Undulations of 20mm in the screed surface could technically be acceptable in the respect that the British standard allows for a maximum deviation from datum of 15mm across a floor.however this shold be read in conjunction with the maximum deviation from a 2m straight edge which for tiling shold be no more than 3mm. Additionall it begs the question ....is it fit for purpose... My opinion is no....

P

parrot

Just got back from day out in shops trying to buy the elusive primer. whole 8 hours wasted and still no closer than before. I have now been advised, that if using flexible glue c2 tes1 then a primer is not needed.
Can anyone conform this. This information is from mapi and grupopuma. I have no idea what to do as we have our experience from the UK and Germany who insist that we do need a primer.
Anyone here know better or downside to not using primer.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
A primer is designed to reduce the level of suction into the screed. When you put you adhesive down the screed will suck the moisture out of it and as it is cement based it requires that moisture in order to set properly. If your screed has been poorly laid then it is likely that the surface pore structure is pronounced and suction could be an issue. There are one or two adhesives available that rely on drying to set but these may not be available in Spain.

Are there any DIY sheds near where You are. Or maybe you could buy none and have it shipped to you.

P

parrot

don't actually understand this bit "
Are there any DIY sheds near where You are. Or maybe you could buy none and have it shipped to you.

Read more: http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-...ed-amongst-other-questions.html#ixzz1vizUQAVX"
take it DIY shed is a chain. I already have the adhesive it is a flexible adhesive c2tes1 standard which is one of the best available and suitable for underfloor heating. As i understood primers were there to provide a good adhesive surface for the adhesive by providing a bridge between both surfaces. I am guessing suction would be a factor too.
I thought in this case the primer was to seal the screed and eliminate and dust.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to uneven screed amongst other questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.