UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss URGENT info required... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fulabeer

Hi
One of my customers have just moved into their new home.
They have come across a problem with their garage floor.
My understanding is the contractors has used a 4mm layer of SLC on top of a concrete screed. (i don't know what type/brand SLC)
They have then painted this in garage floor paint.

The first time they drove the car in, the paint stuck to the tyre and lifted the SLC in patches.
It was first thought either the paint hadn't dried properly, or that the SLC may have been laid on to a dusty top surface on the concrete screed.
The contractor came back and lifted the SLC, cleaned the concrete screed, and repeated the SLC paint combo.

This time everything was left for weeks before the garage was used again.
However, the same problem has happened again.
The contractor is refusing to come back, and the developer is trying to decide what to do to sort the problem.

I work for both the customer and the developer, and they are both decent parties.
So it's not so much who's to blame, and who's going to pay. Rather, what is the best solution to move forward.
I have suggested either redoing the effected SLC, and tile the garage area.
Or putting down a garage type Vinyl floor covering.
At the moment, neither party wants this, as apart from cost, they just want a painted floor.

Is there anything you lads/lasses can suggest?
Ie, do you think maybe the wrong SLC compound was used.
Or is the thickness the problem?
Is there a better product to paint SLC with?
Assuming they lift the entire SLC area, what product would be better?

Sorry for the all the questions!
But they are phoning me back this morning after speaking with the customer.

I personally think the thickness of the SLC, combined with the paint is the problem.
The suction created when the warm tyre sits on the paint is lifting the SLC.
The SLC hasn't the strength to resist this suction effect.

I know it shouldn't matter, but they paid £4.7m for the property.
So at the end of the day, things should be right.
This is more about getting the right solution more than throwing money at it.

Thanks for any help with this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't think it was the slc thickness.If the correct slc is used its more like a combination of...
a) paint is still drying/ curing. This will happen if the first coat is put on too thick and not enough time between coats and or no primer before painting = hot rubber tyres will bed into the paint. Some paving paint is either oil based or epoxy based either one part or two. Imo an epoxy waterbased is best.
and b) The concrete has not been cleaned and primed with an appropriate primer = delamination of slc from concrete.
So when mr and mrs customer get in their car on a cold english morning the well bedded tyres will naturally tear away everything between the rubber and the concrete:oops:.....imho

You might want to use something like ardex k80 ARDEX K 80 from ARDEX UK its a little pricey but perfect for garage floor.
The other thing, is the garage floor very old? Has it been damp proofed when the concrete was poured? If there is any moisture at all coming from the concrete you might have to use a system that will combat the effects of hydrostatic pressure or moisture vapor emission. .
The first thing to do is have the slab checked for its moisture content but all this should have been checked by the contractor before proceeding with any coating to the concrete slab.

F

fulabeer

Thanks for the replies so far.
The concrete is about a year old. It will be 100% laid/damp proofed properly.
I far as i can tell, the concrete wasn't primed before the SLC was applied.
The reason i suspect this, is due to the amount of grit/dirt present on the underside of the orignal SLC that came up.
I was there when the contractor came back the first time.
He was asked to clean/prime the effected area (before applying the SLC), and use an epoxy paint over the entire area.
We are not sure whether he did this or not, but either way the problem came back.

I am scratching my head why they don't just tile, or lay a vinyl garage covering.
It really isn't a money thing, but both parties just seem to want a painted floor...

Paul

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to URGENT info required... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
I live in Berkshire, UK, where the soil is clay. My current patio is block paved (laid about 20...
Replies
Views
Good Evening Folks. I'm going to post a few pictures & would like to hear some feedback from...
Replies
Views
Hello! I’m hoping I can get some advice on what to do in my kitchen RE wanting to replace the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
URGENT info required...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.