UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Using (black) cement as tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

neilbd

Hi everyone,

I'm British but living in Bangladesh at the moment. I've four tiles to put onto a wall, replacing four that fell off and smashed. The people in the local tile shop told me that I wanted black cement to put the tiles onto the wall. I bought four KG of the stuff from somewhere else (the tile shop didn't sell it) and put some onto the wall, trying the first tile.

It isn't very adhesive, or I'm doing something wrong. Do you have to mix in sand with this stuff?

I'm sure nothing like this is used now days in the UK. But I wondered if anyone had used this sort of thing in the past.

BTW, I don't know what is in this black (actually grey) cement.

Cheers,

Neil

J

johnryan

it may be similar to the way they tile in israel, where they use sand and cement for wall tiling. they add pva glue to the mix, and you have to soak the tiles in buckets of water to stop it drying out before it all bonds together. probably due to the heat drawing all the water out too fast. also you put the bed of cement on to the back of each individual tile around 10mill thick and leave a small indent in the middle to act as a kind of suction cup to help it stay in place until its sets. give it a tap with a gummy mallet too when you set it to the wall to make it stick. not sure if its the same there, but it sounds like it could be. when i worked in israel they didnt use tile adhesive very often either though that could be different now

S

Spud

mix it with 3;1 with fine sharp sand ,soak the tiles in water overnight and then take them out and drain the excess water off of them ,soak the wall where you are fixing the tiles and then butter the tiles with the wet mixed mortar tap the tiles home with the back of your trowel handle ,allow to set for 2-3 hours then very gently brush the joints clean with a soft brush the following day clean the tiles down with clean water and grout them up

N

neilbd

The bag of cement I got was in a clear plastic bag. They scooped 4 KG out of a 50KG bag. I didn't pay attention to what was written on the larger bag. The tiles are galzed at the front with ceramic at the back.Looking at the back of one of the original tiles, there is indeed a 1cm thick layer of this cement behind the tile. I will follow John and Gary's advice. Sounds like a winner.>Jeezo, are you sure you havent stepped in to a time machine mate.It is very much like stepping back in time. They do a lot of things here in the old fashioned way. Government officials will invite you to take tea with them, people are very polite to foreigners, and children are respectful. It is like stepping into a colonial novel.But at times it can be frustrating here. I wanted to get some tiles cut and asked about this in the shop where I bought them. The guy said he couldn't do it. I asked if anyone in the area could do it. No. How about anyone in the city (5 million population). No. How about in the whole country (160 million population at least). No. I noticed a circular blade on the wall behind his head and asked what it was for. "Oh", he said, "thats for cutting tiles."BTW, I don't know if they used grout on the walls in this flat. It looks to me like the stuff here is white cement. I have seen grout in some shops. But I suppose not everyone holds with the new fashions..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Using (black) cement as tile adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.