Van

Discuss Van in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dave l and l

as deano has pointed out there are a few vans out there that you can get. obviously you are not going to change your mind and get a job, so get out there and get on with it, small jobs first and take your time,
the phone wont just ring because you are self employed you will need to advertise inlocal paper, in magazine, in shops, and tell as many people as you can. but you need to be good to get busier

Ash. I will start by saying you won me over and Im full of encouragement for you to succeed.
Life throws poo your way and always when your in a position not to cope with it or finance it.
I've lost my business in the past due to a relationship breakdown. My ex cleaned me out and i went from gaining a mortgage on a spacious four bedroom house and turning over 6 figures with ease a year to being homeless and penniless. 5 years on and Im not back where i was. Only just getting out of rented accommodation now. Being a cats whisker away from bankruptcy is soul destroying. Hurts even more when you can't provide for your kids. So i know in a way how you feel.
If you want this to succeed it will take all the strength you don't have to do it. It does for everybody that starts out self employed. Especially when you're starting from nothing.
The one thing i had when i was in your position which you don't is experience. Not just in tiling but running a business. Being self employed is like working two jobs. The admin can be just as exhausting as your day on the tools.
If you haven't got some funds already behind you then until someone is willing to take you on as a labourer then GRR is probably right.
Do the agency work for an income. Say your bills and get a cheap run around to get to work and cart the family around.
Evenings and weekends get leaflets out. But you have to bare in mind the phone still might not ring for six months after the drop. I did a leaflet drop almost two years ago in and area down here and i still get calls now from people that have it pinned to their fridge. There is a trick with the leaflets im happy to share....

Spend a bit more money and get A5 glossy print on a good quality paper. Feels better in the hand when they pick it up. Also fold the leaflets im half before you go dropping. Fold them perfectly! and here's the important bit . . . .

. . . . hide the advert. Fold the leaflet so they have to open it to see what it is. A good quality paper won't show them what's printed. You then have their undivided attention. Curiosity gets the better of everybody in the end.

Use holidays, weekends and evenings to do your tiling work and bank your earnings. Use the income from tiling to fund the business not the household. Spend that money on tools or removing the business.
Do it that way and give it twelve months and you won't need the agencies anymore. Won't quite be rich but you'll be in a better position to go it alone. Provided the business has shown signs of growth. But your diary will tell you that. :thumbup:

One of the best heartfelt pieces of personnel information and advice I have read on this forum. :hurray:

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
Ideal :thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 118
Ash, do you think it's worth getting a job, any job, doing something else first? Before starting to set yourself up as a tiler? Going self employed from nothing is a big commitment and is going to test you to the absolute limit. Earn, save some money, start tiling part-time, build up your reputation, upgrade your tools/vehicle, and then go self employed when you have more customers than time in the day...

At last, someone who's saying it how it is. GRR singing from the same songsheet as me.

No matter what the argument, the fact is, any job would help to put you in a better position to be able to prepare yourself for your tiling dream, saving up for tools, vans, insurance, marketing/advertising budgets etc..

Surely an agency job, doing days or weeks here and there is better than spending 24hrs a day on the internet based Tiling NVQ course. Full-time, part-time, temporary, weekends, whatever...

As for a van, we all started in whatever we had available, family cars, rusty old bangers, even borrowing the Mrs' car to do a quick job.

Glass half-full and all that still!

M

Mr Tiler

I dont know where this leaves me with my mentor weather I can go back to them when I decide to or not but in respect of what has been said in this thread I began job hunting yesterday......maybe getting some savings behind me will help its better than starting with nothing... I just didn't want anything to come in the way of what I want to do but you guys know more about it then me.... I start a new job on Monday

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hope this one is to your liking tea bagging.

Just stick it out pal no matter what it is. We all start somewhere. And let's be frank, you work to live not live to work, so it doesn't matter what the job is, it's what you do with the cash on your days off that you remember in part when you have alzheimer's when you're 93 years old.

Follow the advice in the thread pal.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Do it.

One of my first jobs was for British Steel with an agency, working nights.

It's shut now, but in its prime it was a brilliant part of the income for the country as they primarily exported and did so to the value of all the car manufacturers put together. Big business. They had their own rail lines in and out of the factory going to ports across the country.

They heated up giant blocks of steel and ran them on huge rollers from one end of the factory to the other at about 25MPH, and in the middle, there was a shaped 'thing' that squeezed it through a gap that got smaller each time. Eventually, you'd end up with H shaped girders and that sort of thing.

As it went through that process, steel filings used to sheer off and end up in a river under the rollers that went from one end of the factory to the other. The idea was the river would cool the filings, and push them down into a collector at the bottom, and when half full, they'd use a magnet to pick them up, and melt them into a block to use again.

Problem was, the river would get blocked and even the walkway at the side of the river would end up part of the river.

My job: go down there in wellies with forks and shovels and clear out the river. Was a daily job, used to take 8 hours to clear a few feet per man, and the factory was half a mile long. The rollers would still be hot, the filings would be sharp, my jeans would be soaking wet through from the minute I got there, the **** in my pocket would often get wet so we used to put them in our hard hats, which used to fall off (or get knocked off by a fellow worker for a laugh so you had to go fishing for it down the river).

Loved it. It paid for going out on a saturday night.

I think you do work to live. Sod the job. It's an income.

Can't find anything on youtube about BS, but here's something that'd give you an idea of the amount of water required, and how filthy everything was.

[video=youtube;6xnKmt_gsLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xnKmt_gsLs[/video]

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Van in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

E
just looking for some advice as to what has gone wrong. Used a local plumber who came highly...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
M
I see a lot of cheap van hire offers on the internet. but they all say that you can drive in the...
Replies
Views
DemoXpert
D
B
Not strictly tiling but hope you guys have some experience that can help me. I'm about to tile...
Replies
Views
K
Quick question as I will be purchasing a new van soon - how does everyone organise their tools...
Replies
Views
R
Evening all. I'm wondering whether any of you have bought a portable reasonably priced...
Replies
Views
RDTiling
R

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB