UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Walls, Travertine Tiles and Problems, advice and help needed! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Y

YNWA2012

Hi All,

I have for the past 24 hours getting to grips with a lot of issues with regard to tiling and how a job in my home has gone a wee bit wrong.

So the story begins with a total bathroom refit. Quotes gathered picked the best company and the job commenced.

The room was a bare room with the walls boarded and skimmed and some dot and dabbed boards on one wall.

The tiler had said on a number occasions one of the main walls was not straight and constantly showed his spirit level to the wall showing gaps etc. At this point I asked will the tile we have chosen work will the wall be straight do we need other materials etc etc. The answer all will be fine I have worked with these conditions before.

Ok it may be worth mentioning at this point the tiles we purchased were travertine H&F for the walls 30 x 45 and for the floor 30 x 60 (very heavy tiles). Oh and a boarder made from little mixed marble chunks on a mesh.

All pipe work was done and the new show tray was set in place and protected with a cover.

So the tiling commenced about 2 weeks ago when I noticed that the tub of ready mix adhesive said "Trade Ceramic Tile Adhesive". I straight away asked the question this says ceramic these are stone tiles.......! I was told don't worry this is the best stuff for the job and will allow me to get the wall straight. I did start think this was wrong but often huge amounts of trust is put in the person who you have chosen to carry out the work.

Anyway long story short.....The tiling was almost complete when two tiles fell off the wall whilst I was present in the room. Smash bang and a couple of wasted travertine tiles wasted but no injury. However at this point it became apparent that something was not right. The tile adhesive being used was not drying on one particular wall in my opinion due to the fact it was firstly the wrong type of adhesive and also that the amount of adhesive behind the tiles was excessive and in most places way beyond 6mm. Two other walls had the same adhesive but it seemed the tiles were pretty solid!
So it was decided that there was a safety issue and possibly a long term situation where tiles would simply start fall from the walls.
Incidentally I am not an expert on wall primer but the Tiler working on this job had used a PVA on the plaster prior to applying the travertine tiles with ceramic adhesive.
Since all the tiles have been ripped from the walls the primer is visible as a clear skin like film on the plaster.
So where do I go from here. My questions and what I really want to achieve is a step by step guide of how I can get this tiling job back on board and stop any further delays and or risk of losing more money from tiles being removed etc.
I have been advised that taking the bad wall back to brick and then having a sand and cement scratch coat would be ideal. One of the walls where the tiles have been taken of has pulled all the plaster board of anyway so this will have to happen here.
I have since spoken to the technical people at “Bal” who have suggested what seems like very good product advice to ensure the very best adhesives, grout, sealer, primer etc is used.
The tiler told me Cement based powder adhesive cannot be used to fix stone tiles to plaster walls however “Bal” technical have advised that with a relevant primer this is normal practise!
Any professional advice and information will be greatly appreciated as I still need to get this job sorted.
I have some pictures if this will set the scene further!

Cheers

J

johnryan

you also need to check on the weight of the tiles. travertine is too heavy for skimmed plaster, so even before the issues with the adhesive you need to address the substrate and get that sorted too. id be reluctant to use even the plasterboard with trav, and would normally use a minimum of hardiebacker to hold stone of that weight. id speak with your tiler again point this out before you go any further. the fact that he used tubbed addy and pva doesn't fill you with confidence that he knows what hes doing.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
your tiler does not know what he is doing by the sound of things, hope you have not paid him ,
some people may say give him the chance to rectify his mistakes , but in this instance i would fire him on the spot and seek advice from a pro tiler in your area , there are many on here who will help you

pva is a big no no , tubed addy is useless for your tiles , and skimmed walls may struggle with the weight
if he has used tubed addy you should have no probs removing the tiles imo,
sorry to here of your dilemma , another so called tiler taking work on without the relevent knowledge , shocking

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I have approximately 30 seconds before i have to run out the door, so please forgive the short, sharp response.

Agree with above, your "tiler" needs laying off and you need a professional that has the product knowledge and background. It's all well and good being a tiler covering 100's of sqm of ceramics, but it's a whole different ball game when it comes to stone. In short it's now something someone can go do a 1 week tiling course, wander out and start fixing.
Has he got any experience with stone? I wouldn't expect the answer to that to be anything other than no. Fixing travertine with tubbed adhesive is nothing short of insanity, not to mention the safety aspect.

Packing out with tubbed addy as well, screams inexperience, and dare i say it "cowboy".

Y

YNWA2012

Wow can't believe i only just joined this forum and so much help and advice very much appreciated.

I can confirm the adhesive used was ready mixed ceramic tile adhesive as I opened and peered into the full tubs that were onsite. I also noted that this adhesive was a greyish colour and now understand adhesive for light coloured porous tiles (i.e. beige trav) needs to be white.

Anyway as it stands the tiler has removed all tiles from all the walls and we are left with the following:

1. Large wall which is skimmed plaster board and not perfect straight.
2. Another wall where the dot and dabbed plaster board has come off the wall after the tiles were removed so back to the brick
3. A third wall which is plaster board skimmed which is an internal connecting wall to next door neighbour. This wall seems straight however most of the plaster skimmed is now cracked and coming off due to the tiles being removed and pulling half of it away from the wall which kind of proves the tiles could have falled from the wall!

I'm not even to sure about the plastering work and the quality of it as it was completed over four years ago!

Anyway this is a massive learning curve for me and is going to be expensive to resolve but the missus will batter me if I don't get it sorted.

Can anyone offer guidance if these walls should be hacked of to brick and a brand new sand and cement layer be applied?

Any product recommendations drying time best surfaces would be really helpful!

Thanks

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
This kind of work makes my blood boil. I agree with all the above mentioned!

As Johnryan has mentioned, there's a good chance that you will be over weight per m2. Plasterboard is 20kg pm2, with plaster skim 32kg pm2. This maximum load should include the weight of adhesive & grout. Hardibacker, Marmox or wedi will be the best way to go

think you got that the wrong way round....lol

Y

YNWA2012

Thanks for the further info...............so each tile comes in at 4.75kg and 8 tiles make just over a sq m2 so 38 kg total for the tiles. Not sure how much you add for adhesive and grout but i guess this has got to be somewhere in the region of 3 to 4kg! Could someone confirm on this.

So following the above comments about wedi, hardibacker etc it seems like this is the best route. Can anyone offer advice on what should be the next cause of action with these plasterboard and skimmed walls..........how is this wedi or hardibacker fixed to the walls. Apologies for all the questions just trying to ensure the job is done using absolute best quality products

R

Rookery

Only just picked up on this thread and as others have said, so far the job has been done wrongly, plain and simple. Only this morning I turned down a job to fix H & F trav to plastered walls, partly cos I couldnt do it until January and partly cos it exceeded the recommended BS weight limit. Your best bet would be to take off all the plaster back to the brickwork and fix 12mm Hardie both glued and mechanically fixed. But first you need to find a new tiler.

P

Peter Howe

Never ever use ready mixed adhesive for travertine. It has to be cement based powder adhesive(white) mixed with water to give a good consistent adhesive. And as for the floors I always use a flexible(white) powder adhesive on concrete floors, and a Two-part (latex) flexible adhesive on wooden floors or underfloor heating. More expensive but much better in the long run. I repeat. Never ever use ready mixed adhesive on travertine wall tiles.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Thanks for the further info...............so each tile comes in at 4.75kg and 8 tiles make just over a sq m2 so 38 kg total for the tiles. Not sure how much you add for adhesive and grout but i guess this has got to be somewhere in the region of 3 to 4kg! Could someone confirm on this.

So following the above comments about wedi, hardibacker etc it seems like this is the best route. Can anyone offer advice on what should be the next cause of action with these plasterboard and skimmed walls..........how is this wedi or hardibacker fixed to the walls. Apologies for all the questions just trying to ensure the job is done using absolute best quality products

You can fix hardiebackers direct to stud work. I believe the 12mm board is what's recommeneded in your scenario.
For your dabbed walls my approach is proberbly different to most. I remove plasterbaord back to brickwork and then construct a timber frame to the wall. I level the wall using wedges and then screw the hardie to the frame as you would with a stud wall. I personally feel i can rely on the mechanically fixed framework more than plasterbaord adhesive. To put hardie over the top of your plastered external wall still require a mechaincal fixing anyway. The frame idea also gives me the option of adding further insulation to the wall.

Y

YNWA2012

Rookery thanks for the comment.............ok this hardie board seems to be the stuff to use and will this be fine for these really heavy tiles? Would having a sand and cement coat applied to the bricks be better than hardie board ? I have a builder who has said best bet is to take all plaster and knock everything back to the brick and he would then apply a sand and cement coat. He said pro tilers really like working straight onto this kind of surface however if the hardi board is better, quicker and just as efficient i would go with this....................any comments?!

Y

YNWA2012

So an update on my situation......A quality plaster has said he will remove plaster and hack walls back to the brick (although one wall is already at this point) and will apply sand and cement base coat or scratch coat as he desribes it. He said ample time will be required for this to be dried out and ready for tiling.

I have had a professional tiler who seems to know all about stone tiles and he has said this sand and cement walls will be ideal for him to work with. He has quoted for 20 metres of wall tiles and 7 metres of floor tiles. He has advised the green chipboard flooring should be either over laid with 6mm ply or removed and a 12mm ply fitted. He has said he will be laying ditra mat and skim bathroom floor and latex to level.

I have asked for the quote to include which adhesive will be used and they have been confirmed as Ardex X7R. The adhesive to stick the ditra mat is Ardex AF200. The quote also mentions the latex being used is Weber Floor Flex with fiber glass fibres. And finally the grout will be Ardex FS (choice of colours).

Does anyone have any comments about this and does it sound right and correct to get my tiling job completed to a high standard!

Oh and sealer has been mentioned but no brand and am wondering if this should be done before grouting or after.

Reply to Walls, Travertine Tiles and Problems, advice and help needed! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.