UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss wash boy- expensive bucket on wheels or good value, time saving tool. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Re: wash boy- expensive bucket on wheels or good value, time saving to

I use the Karl Dahm washboy, but I have started using it slightly different these days. I only fill it about 3 inches of water. I don't use the grill. This makes it lighter for carrying up/down stairs. It is also good for storage of sponges, grout floats, rags etc. I use the Raymondi floats, but I find that I can't get them dry enough for washing down. I have to get rid of excess water by throwing them into the customers garden (whilst still holding onto the handle!)

W

White Room

karl dahm wash boy is a must for me walls and floors ,i also have a pedalo again brill piece of kit esp on large floors .
trade tiler you will get 2 sponges with the washboy,
the best sponges on the market imo are the raimondi ones from kwik split

Got one to try Monday......see how good they are:thumbsup:

nybor62

TF
rotherham

I use the Karl Dahm washboy, but I have started using it slightly different these days. I only fill it about 3 inches of water. I don't use the grill. This makes it lighter for carrying up/down stairs. It is also good for storage of sponges, grout floats, rags etc. I use the Raymondi floats, but I find that I can't get them dry enough for washing down. I have to get rid of excess water by throwing them into the customers garden (whilst still holding onto the handle!)

i fill it about 3 ins above the grill, the grill is there for a purpose to rub the sponge against

I have 2 washboys and have used them on every job for the last 12 years on walls and floors but I can't understand why people would have one then prefer to used a bucket and sponge ?please enlighten me.as someone said in an earlier quote saves your hands which are your must importants tools

C

charlie1

I got one when started tiling 5 years ago, had never used anything else! Recently tried using just bucket with sponge and to be honest, there are a few advantages to just using bucket.

1, washboy has a tendancy to oversaturate the grout.
2, with just a sponge, you can detail your grout easier
3, A bucket of water is much lighter than a washboy with water / grout resudue, less risk of spillage
4, Wash boy is quite a bulky thing where buckets fit in to each other and you have them in van anyway.

I honestly think im quicker now using a bucket than washboy unless im doing a floor wth 10+m2.

I honestly think that I washboys sponge leaves a better finish than normal sponge as it keeps the joints full and evenly smooth. By making sure the sponge is rinsed out properly deals with overspill problem. I only fill my washboys up with just over one bucket water anyway so it's around the same weight. There is also the fact that using a washboys leaves very little dust on the tiles when finished and there is absolutely no way using a bucket and sponge can be quicker than a washboy even on a 5 metre floor I think we need one of those demo videos made bucket v washboy grout off haha

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to wash boy- expensive bucket on wheels or good value, time saving tool. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.