Discuss Waterproof adhesive / Tanking?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jane S

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can offer me their advice?!

My husband and I are currently renovating our house and we are now at the stage where every wall and ceiling has been plastered (phew finally). Over the next few weeks we will be fitting and tiling our corner shower cubical (tiling floor to ceiling inside the shower cubical only) on newly plastered bathroom walls.

My question is, if we use waterproof adhesive to stick the tiles do we still need to tank the shower area with a shower waterproofing kit (Dunlop??) or will waterproof tile adhesive be sufficient on its own? We were going to just use waterproof adhesive but when I started to look up tips on tiling a few posts mentioned tanking. I cant work out whether I can use the shower waterproofing kit on walls that have been plastered?! Sorry if that sounds silly… I am a newbie at DIY.

Any advise you can offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks v much!

Jane

D

davemul

Jane its just as easy to use as tubbed.. just requires mixing. If your husband has a drill, then a simple drill mixer bit from screwfix for about £7 will do the job

the packets have mixing instructions on them. Just get the water/powder ratio correct and all will be fine

It will be water in bucket first, then add powder and mix slowly till a lump free paste. Then leave for 5 mins. Give another slow mix and youre ready to use

I was dubious at first but its as easy as peas now!

tubbed adhesive relies on water to evaporate to dry

powdered adhesive is cement based, so MUCH more reliable and quicker to set

Mapei keraflex is what I use its so easy to apply

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheWrightTiler

if not sure of your speed jane id use mapei p9 as got a great working time to it, it also a powdered adhesive so sets chemically rather by air dispersion which is what a tubbed adhesive does, mapei is a great adhesive and so is their tanking kit

use a suitable trowel and your good to go, mix up small amounts at a time and work to this as a guide one 20kg bag will cover roughly 5m2 dependant on trowel bed thickness, the tanking kit will cover a basic sized shower area, always always tank, better to be over cautious than sorry further down the line

remember thought that new plaster takes time to dry completely, i was told once 4 - 6 weeks, i might be wrong maybe someone can advise better

also tubbed adhesive as stated dries through the dispersion of air to harden the paste and has a max bed thickness of 3mm so if your walls are out and they will be as no wall is ever plumb you would have to go thicker on the paste and this in effect would take ages to dry, if it ever does, bearing in mind that you shouldnt grout till adhesive is set.

with powder it dries by chemical reaction a bit lik concrete, trying to keep it simple here lol, most adhesives set in 2 hours and can therefore be grouted the same day and in the case of p9 its 24 hours as its a slow setting adhesive which enables the less efficient tiler time to remove an out of place tile and realign before it cures completly, it also allows for a slightly thicker bed of adhesive for out of plumb walls.

i would also make sure that no grout is placed in the internal corners as this area is used for expansion joints and should be siliconed, mapei do 26 colours to match their grouts so its not even noticable, i would if it were me seal my grout used topical sealers as this helps stay of the build up of dead skin and chemicals from shampoos etc that discolor grouts

all the best and any more questions please ask away, we are here to help and advise, as the old saying goes id rather be asked a thousand times than have you do it wrong once

andy

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jane S

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your post. We have actually ordered all of our bits (aside from the tanking kit which we will get separately tomorrow from Wickes) from Topps Tiles before i knew about tanking or using a particular type of adhesive so i will have to swap the pre mixed tubbed stuff for the powdered adhesive.

I also need to tile my kitchen above the worktops about 3 tiles high. Will the powdered adhesive be better for that too?
I was going to use waterproof adhesive in the kitchen but do you think it is necessary? Or will normal non water proof be fine?

Jane

T

TheWrightTiler

personally i dont use tubbed stuff, i prefer to work with powder as can grout the same day if finished, the powder will be fine for the splashback, again use it in little batches and you wont go wrong

no powder or tubbed is completely water proof it will be water resistant to a point dependant on the porosity of the tile, thats why certain tiles must be sealed same as the grout, imho topps are very expensive and if i could id use ctd or tile giant or any of the sponsers from this forum who will give you honest impartial advice, topps is i believe at the top end price wise in the retail market and even with a discount you may get the same for less elsewhere

to ease your mind ask one of the moderators for a great tiler in your area who can advise the scope of works and costs, it may seem expensive but if you do it wrong the costs can be huge, a pro will offer a great finish for a lot less than you think and can often source the same tiles and adhesives for a lot less than you could purchase them for somewhat offsetting the expense

cheers

andy

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Waterproof adhesive / Tanking?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Waterproof adhesive / Tanking??
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.