Currently reading:
Waterproofing options for new shower room

Discuss Waterproofing options for new shower room in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

In the end I put my Big Boy pants on, mixed up some rapid setting leveller, waited 5 minutes, poured it, and raked it back up the slope a few times till I was happy it had set.

I have so many layers going on already I decided against membrane. The mat and leveller are on 50mm wedi board so I am happy there is decoupling.

IMG_6204.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6227.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 53
am I tripping or is the floor not perfectly leveled? No hate just that it ticks me
No offence taken 🤣

It is not level - the two tiles in the far right corner, into the shower stall, are installed on a 2-3 degree Wedi riolito Neo shower tray with a linear drain up against the wall.

It was my worry about preserving the slope, whilst setting the heating mat in self leveller, that I was posting about earlier.

The rest of the floor is plumb, pinky promise!

The ledge, waterproof it well and install a slab on top with a 3/4 overleap and insert it under the wall tile if possible. The ledge should always be pitched down towards the shower. Don't know if you can do that now. Give it a try. There will be loads of water going on top of the ledge. Once done apply silicone.

Last edited:
A quick update! The tiling was largely completed a few weeks ago, now just awaiting the tiles for the back of the niche (madam spent some time choosing) and the Crosswater shower head.. they do one that sits flush in the ceiling, in brushed bronze to match the rest of the fittings, but can’t make it yet! Then I need to make the vanity unit and install the sink (my wife wanted to use reclaimed oak so I have some old wagon floor boards and am just setting up a saw table).

And I need to silicone the corners but am looking for a slightly off-white silicone. I bought one called ‘Sable’ (sand) but it is a bit too brown. Any ideas about silicone brands with a good range of colour options - I’d be grateful…

So once siliconed, niche finished and vanity built I can say it is finished. Once I can be sure it is watertight I shall put this particular job behind me.

PS - have tested floor and it warms up nicely (thinset has now long cured, I am so slow).

Attachments

• IMG_6538.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 51
Vanity unit now made as per madam’s preference for reclaimed oak boards. Going to need to seal the wood as best I can - it should be well away from the line of fire but there will be water spillage around the sink no doubt. Any product suggestions, please let me know!

I ordered Butech sealant in the end because I used Butech grout and they do a matching silicone. So I am waiting for that, and a large format wood effect tile for the back of the niche that should match the vanity.

Finally I am waiting for the cross water flush-fitting shower head… they have been very apologetic about the delay as the bronze finish is quite a rare product line I think.

I like the bronze but it is a pain in the arse to try and match to tile trim, shower profile, towel rail, door handles… 😭

Thanks for all the helpful advice I have had along the way, I appreciate it!

Attachments

• IMG_6919.jpeg
    655.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6918.jpeg
    589.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6922.jpeg
    551.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6923.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 35
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Waterproofing options for new shower room in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
J
I am remodeling a bathroom, adding a large walk in shower - 42 x 78. I will use a 40" linier...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB