Wall and Floor Tiling Standards BS 5385 Part 1 and 2 Bristish Standards, ISO Tile Fixing Standard.

Welcome to TilersForums.com, the place to discuss all tiling standards whether British Standards in Wall and Floor Tiling, BS5385, or ISO European Standards for Tile Fixing.

Tiling Standards

Wall and Floor Tiling Standards for the UK: British Standards in Tiling.

Discuss Weight of Limestone & Travertine per square meter? in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

BAL white star is suitable for fixing natural stone and there is nothing wrong with dispersion adhesives.
You are absolutely right, White Star will fix natural stone and there is nothing wrong with dispersion adhesives.

Trouble is with dispersion adhesives, they stick by having the moisture absorbed then evaporated away. With a susbtance like limestone or trav, this moisture goes into the tile and then has the possibility of staining the product or bleeding through, giving a not very nice appearance. There are products available that will reduce this bleed and staining problem but they are powdered stuff

Having done my last job of 17m2 of a bathroom with white star, I decided then that it would be the last time I used dispersion adhesive. White Star in particular is a pain to get of tools and the surface of the tiles, but it does stick just about anything.

H

Hardibacker Rep

If the tiles are only 18 kg there is no problem

in regard to the weight i guess but would'nt you rather have the back up of another 18kg weight support instead of 2kg????

Your plasterboarding a shower? When (and I mean when!) the water gets behind the tile its going to degrade the bond...make the paper face of the plasteboard go mouldy....making your grout go that lovely shade of green/black.....mould cant grow on cement! :grin:

D

des511

The 3 walls that I am Iooking to tile regarding dimensions are
Wall 1 1.8M x 2.1M
Wall 2 1.6M x 2.1M
Wall 2 0.8M x 2.1M

but as you say the problem is not the size of the wall but the strenght of the skim on the plasterboard. The weird thing is that if I would not have come across this forum I would have never thought about the weight issue and would without a second thought put the tiles on the walls.
It makes you think that how many people have done it.
Looks like I will have a busy weekend ahead of me as I have to make up my mind by Monday about what to use. The bathrom will have a bath and not a shower.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

The 3 walls that I am Iooking to tile regarding dimensions are
Wall 1 1.8M x 2.1M
Wall 2 1.6M x 2.1M
Wall 2 0.8M x 2.1M

but as you say the problem is not the size of the wall but the strenght of the skim on the plasterboard. The weird thing is that if I would not have come across this forum I would have never thought about the weight issue and would without a second thought put the tiles on the walls.
It makes you think that how many people have done it.
Looks like I will have a busy weekend ahead of me as I have to make up my mind by Monday about what to use.

Thanks again.
No problems Des. Good luck which every way you decide to go. Maybe drop us a couple of pics when it's done eh.:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Some more thought on this. I take it I would be okay to put new plasterboard on top of the skimmed board drilling straight through into the battens and this should help me with the weight issue.

Thanks

One more question. When you have to tile a floor and and walls in a bathroom which do you do first. Is it the floor first with the wall on top or the wall first with the floor against the wall.

Thanks
If you are going to screw plasterboard up why not remove the old stuff first, it wouldn't take long, or is that a bath removal job first?

As for you second question, it is all down to personal preference. I personally do walls first as it stops you dropping something and damaging your floor and also you don't get adhesive and grout all over your new surface. Some others do the floor first, and others do the wall except for the bottom course and do that at the end after the floor is down.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

After giving it much thought I have decided to go with the 10mm Limestone tiles on the skimmed plastered walls that are already in place.
I will order the tiles first thing in Tuesday so wish me luck. Any more thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks to everyone who has given me their kind advice so far on this subject.
Good luck m8 hope all goes well.
deanotile :yes::yes::yes::8:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Weight of Limestone & Travertine per square meter? in the Tiling Standards area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, First post here on the forum. Thanks for reading! I have an application for 1"...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all. After living in my property for over 7 years I've recently discovered the type of tile...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB