UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss We're all a bunch of thieves! Not! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pebbs

We are on a right pig of a contract right now, working nights because they didnt want any noise, no drinking on site, no smoking outside the site, no using the toilets on the site, its one of those. Its one of those jobs that you think about it and you feel sick when your going in to do some work. Two nights ago the client, (who seems to be there 24/7 because she obviously hasn't got anything better to do), said to two of the lads....by the way...the whole building is covered by cctv, so no wandering around the offices 'inspecting things'. The implication was clear, she thinks we are a bunch of thieves, so today I went down there was with the numpty whos got a project managers head on, and she walks over... "Aww Im glad your here" I said, "because my lads told me what you'd said the other night, and I want you to be the first to know...We have already cased this joint and I can truthfully say there is nothing here worth nicking!" She went beetroot coloured and stumbled off,
I hate people who make assumptions, just because they see people doing manual work, they then take it upon themselves to brand everyone as some kind of scum bag. Am I the only one to feel this?

I feel round 2 coming on later this week..seconds out.

Lynn

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Is it you that's be stealing some threads off the forum? They keep going when we're not looking.

JOKE!!!!!

You should play a trick on her with the CCTV. I bet she's always watching it. You should all walk towards the building and then all just freeze as if it's broke. See if she comes out to see what's going on and then all laugh at her. mwahahaaaaaa

P

Pebbs

They said no drinking or eating outside site, you had to go up the road, the same for phone calls. They didnt want a a load of trades outside the front of the building. I made a mistake, I hold my hands up to that, but to be banned is a bit extreme to say the least. They said they didnt want to see builders smoking and drinking in this 'part of town'. So anyway thats the first time Ive been slung of and banned, they got a stunning reception, we did a good job, and we will never work for them again. Some poor bugger is going to have to go through it again in the future but it wont be us. There is a bit of karma though, because someone smashed one of the treads after everything had been signed off. And as Im banned I cant go back in to the templating. Not my problem...let em get on with it now.

Lynn

B

Bolter

Lynn, this is typical of site work these days. Currently on a job where you arent allowed to smoke (fair enough) drinking and eating only in canteen (huge site, canteen with 6 chairs) no radios, no smiling and definitely no earning a wage.

And H&S came on site the other day and made some new rules on the spot. New rules are

# no vans on site, not even to unload (I mean......come on!!!)
# to use my plasplugs master tiler I need to now have not only the crap plastic guard wobbling around, I need to also wear ear defenders, goggles, gloves and my hard hat. You know, just incase.
#hard hats to be worn at all times, even in the plots. To this, the plasterers stuck up their fingers and pretty much left site.

It is worse than school. We are not trusted with anything.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Lynn, this is typical of site work these days. Currently on a job where you arent allowed to smoke (fair enough) drinking and eating only in canteen (huge site, canteen with 6 chairs) no radios, no smiling and definitely no earning a wage.

And H&S came on site the other day and made some new rules on the spot. New rules are

# no vans on site, not even to unload (I mean......come on!!!)
# to use my plasplugs master tiler I need to now have not only the crap plastic guard wobbling around, I need to also wear ear defenders, goggles, gloves and my hard hat. You know, just incase.
#hard hats to be worn at all times, even in the plots. To this, the plasterers stuck up their fingers and pretty much left site.

It is worse than school. We are not trusted with anything.

I agree, I spent two miserable weeks on media city Manchester, hard hats (fair enough) high vis vests (OK) but gloves and goggles? who can tile with gloves on? I know some do, but I can't. The goggles are a joke when using a wet cutter, as soon as you switch on your goggles get a nice coat of slurry, rendering you blind. Not very safe.

My other gripe is the banning of the fold up, hop up platform. We were working in small toilet blocks, yet we had to wait for scaffolders to erect tower scaffold, once up we had no room to work.

HSE has its place, but common sense should prevail:thumbsdown:

B

Bolter

I agree, I spent two miserable weeks on media city Manchester, hard hats (fair enough) high vis vests (OK) but gloves and goggles? who can tile with gloves on? I know some do, but I can't. The goggles are a joke when using a wet cutter, as soon as you switch on your goggles get a nice coat of slurry, rendering you blind. Not very safe.

My other gripe is the banning of the fold up, hop up platform. We were working in small toilet blocks, yet we had to wait for scaffolders to erect tower scaffold, once up we had no room to work.

HSE has its place, but common sense should prevail:thumbsdown:

See, thats what they are trying to do, replace common sense with Health and Safety. I would prefer to sign something to say "Adam Bolter takes full responsibility and liability for his actions and the use of his own tools" or whatever, but that is NEVER gonna happen!

Its actually pretty hard to tile in gloves.

I reckon in 5 yrs time we will all be wearing full 'haz mat' suits, welders faceguards and chainsaw trousers and gloves. You know......just incase.

Reply to We're all a bunch of thieves! Not! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
I received an email about BAL External tile adhesive and grout this morning and thought I'd post...
Replies
Views
I have cream coloured limestone tiles installed on outdoor walls around the perimeter of my...
Replies
Views
J
    • Winner
moved to the london area in 1984 when my wife got a transfer to Guildford with her works. needed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.