Discuss Wet Room/Shower walls & Floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cairorugby

Hi
I have just finished installing a Topps aqua dec shower tray and the floor and walls are boarded with hardie Backer [ 12mm walls & 6mm floor] I am just about to lay the Homelux matting to both walls and floor and I need to know how much of the walls and floor I need to cover. My questrions are:

1. In the actual raised shower area [this is a raised area 1.7m x 1.2m] - Do I have to put the matting from floor level to ceiling or is it sufficient to go 1m high or even just 100mm above the shower tray? I have seen pictures where the whole area is covered.

2. Regarding the floor: I am going to cover the whole shower area and was going to finish about 200/300mm past the step. Will this be OK or will it be necessary to cover the whole of the remaining bathroom floor [1.7m X 3m total]?

3. The Topps tiles guy recommeded that I use Bal Rapid Set Flexible Adhesive to lay the matting but I used this to lay the Hardie Backer on the plywood floor and I found that it was not easy to work with [not being a tiler by trade it did not spread so easily and I found it quite gritty].....I just feel that this was not the best recommendation.

I have read that Bal Fastflex is better.....do any of you professionals have any recommendations on this?

4.Also, are there any 'read mixed' adhesives that could be used for this?

5. Lastly, What do you recommend as the best adhesive to use for the ceramic wall tiles [over Hardie Backer and plasterboard] and for Travertine floor tiles over Hardie?

Would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.

C

cairorugby

Thanks for the info. When you say a mechanical mixer? I used one of those tools for mixing plaster in the drill. I think you are probably right; the mix was too dry. I will try the Mapei and see how I get on. I was actually using a 6mm notched trowel and really that this was also part of the problem. Is a 'solid bed the same as a 'U' notch trowel? I did read that spreading the mix first with the flat side of the trowel helps. Would the 6mm trowel be OK for the walls? the tiles are 360 x 275.

Many Thanks

Q

Qwerty

Im not sure on how they recommend applying adhesive before the Homelux matting, so I cant help you there........ I always use Mapei Mapegum.

As for the trowel..... yes solid bed is the u-notch. Yes, applying adhesive to wall (or tile) first, then trowelling gives much better coverage.

Use an 8mm notch trowel for walls, much more forgiving and better coverage (unless your walls are perfectly flat!)

R

Rich

Good advice above. Go with the 8mm trowel for the wall tiles, (6mm is ok for the mambrane) Not a bad Idea to spread with the flat blade of the trowel before you spread with the teeth, but it sounds like you might be mixing it a bit dry or not mixing it up enough.

Go into a tile giant and have a word with the guys in there, they will be able to recommend the right (powder) adhesive for you, Mapie is a better brand IMO and a better price. :thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

Good advice above. Go with the 8mm trowel for the wall tiles, (6mm is ok for the mambrane) Not a bad Idea to spread with the flat blade of the trowel before you spread with the teeth, but it sounds like you might be mixing it a bit dry or not mixing it up enough.

Go into a tile giant and have a word with the guys in there, they will be able to recommend the right (powder) adhesive for you, Mapie is a better brand IMO and a better price. :thumbsup:

But Mapei is even better
making-fun-054.GIF

Reply to Wet Room/Shower walls & Floors in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wet Room/Shower walls & Floors
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.