Discuss What are you covering up with ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

hi tilers ! just wondering what you lot use to cover baths and floors before tiling ? i used a dust sheet in a bathroom job and had a slight accident with my trowel and chipped the bath , also fully covered a laminated floor a while back with the poli underlay used for laminate flooring but when i completed the wall tiling and lifted the floor covering there where scratches all over ? i can only asume a bit of tile must have got under the covering and ruined the floor. also are bath repair kits any good ? :thumbsup:

S

Stewart

If there are already baths and trays or finished floors on a job the first thing I do is inspect them for damage. I do this before I bring a single tool into the house and point anything I think may be a problem, out to the customer. I also take pics of everything before I start.

For baths and shower trays, I have several boards made out of ply that I can use depending on size. I also tape up all external and top edges with duct tape.

Finished floors have sheets and underlay taped to them too, but if it does have a finished floor I tend to work very clean and don't do any cutting in that room or have many tools to minimise accidents.

As for bath repair kits, they're a waste of money IMO. Always inform the customer straight away and get a pro in to fix it properly. 50-100 quid is cheaper than replacing the bath after a botched attempt to fix it.

S

Scott

Re: covering up ?

Bathboards or a piece of ply are most common. I maskign tape the rim of the bath ten tape a dust shee to the tape to ensure it sticks. Then i put my ply on top, that way you can use the bath as a work top.

For floors i use an old piece of vinyl offcut for hard floors as this means its slip free, other wise i have some thick canvass dust sheets that i fold in half. These are thick enough to stop liquid spills in moderation too.

Attachments

• DSC02010 (1200x900).jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 54

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Nothing worse than damaging a bath or shower tray, you only do it once though.

If I'm honest what I use varys depending on what the customer is like, for landlords its just dustsheets but for the picky, finicky nightmare customers its the full job lot.

One thing to look out for is existing chips and scratches that only make themselves visible when dirt gets into them, you just don't know if they were there already.

Reply to What are you covering up with ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Recently bought a 1930s terrace and lifted laminate to discover quarry tiles. Reading other...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
What are you covering up with ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.