Discuss What do you do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dilz000

I work on the packing lines for kingsmill, the majority of my background is food related apart from the year following college where I studied and worked doing graphic design.

Since then I've worked for a few cheese packaging company's a company that packs tomatoes and now bread. I've previous been trained up shift manager, but kingsmill seem to think I'm too young to be capable of that and won't give me the chance.

I tile on my 4 days off. My aim is to go self employed when I feel confident that it's the right time. I expect that will be around a year but the sooner the better :)

C

cornish_crofter

General home improvements and property repairs

That includes, some plastering and rendering, remodelling, some electrical thought I'm not fully part p qualified, fitting UPVC windows, blockwork, plumbing, and other general building jobs.

This wetroom I've done from scratch - including prepping and casting the concrete floor and screeding.

My weakness is probably the preparation at the moment, as you can see from some of my posts I'm working on this. I'm trying to think through the job from the beginning so I can, for example see how inaccuracies at the slab laying stage can affect the finished product.

My background is manufacturing engineering. I obtained an honours degree and an MSc in this field. I worked for a defence company for 9 years when for various reasons I embarked upon a change.

As a customer (and very long standing friend) of mine said of me "You use your brain". That may be one reason why I've managed to permanently resolve a few issues that other builders had been fighting with for years.

The desire to change was partly brought about by my having renovated a cornish mining cottage doing about 90% of the work myself and learning from an old hand.

I never stop learning. Even when I was laying a block wall a young lad (out of work qualified brickie) wanted to come over and have a chat with me and advise me over a couple of issues. Thanks to him the job went easier. He didn't want anything for his time, but I did give him a few quid for his lunch.

Reply to What do you do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I recently visited an establishment and went to use the facilities and this was it! I was...
Replies
Views
Just wondered what would be best? The original tiles had a few hairline cracks from the house...
Replies
Views
What would you guys do with the walls to prep for fitting 1200mm x 600mm Onice Verde (Porcelain)...
Replies
Views
Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

mz30

Arms
TF
liverpool

Thread Information

Title
What do you do?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.